Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Can I run my air conditioner with a cover over the back?

    Hello

    I am running a window air conditioner in a central wall in my basement and want to vent the hot air out through an insulated air duct with 2 inline fans to the outside through a dryer vent that is not in use. Is it ok to cover the back of the unit with insulation and convert it down into the tube and vent it out or will it make the a/c unit run poorly?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    newton,mass.
    Posts
    6,109
    Quote Originally Posted by question123 View Post
    Hello

    I am running a window air conditioner in a central wall in my basement and want to vent the hot air out through an insulated air duct with 2 inline fans to the outside through a dryer vent that is not in use. Is it ok to cover the back of the unit with insulation and convert it down into the tube and vent it out or will it make the a/c unit run poorly?
    No
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

    "Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,605
    You can run it completely covered, want my phone number?
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

  4. #4

    phone number

    Sure I would love to talk to you about it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,932
    That's the best recipe for disaster I've heard in a long time.
    Best to think of a way to bring Mohammad to the mountain, instead of vice-versa.
    You'll put the compressor's eye out.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,605
    Quote Originally Posted by question123 View Post
    Sure I would love to talk to you about it.
    Sorry , i was just kidding.
    Heres the 411 on a/c
    Esentially you are obsorbing heat from one space and rejecting it to another. Any changes you make to this or any engineered design will most likely decrease heat removal , shorten the life of the unit and run your utilities higher.

    Not to mention safty requirements.
    If you want to install some sort of a/c in your basement try one of the units with a ducted exhaust for the condenser.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    10,317
    Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Sorry , i was just kidding.
    Heres the 411 on a/c
    Esentially you are obsorbing heat from one space and rejecting it to another. Any changes you make to this or any engineered design will most likely decrease heat removal , shorten the life of the unit and run your utilities higher.

    Not to mention safty requirements.
    If you want to install some sort of a/c in your basement try one of the units with a ducted exhaust for the condenser.
    Yes. Or ask for a "mini-split" system.. That is a situation where that type of unit would be perfect.

    As for the original idea, there is no practical way to do that. Outside of a really tacky job. I could make it work, but it would be very very tacky.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event