Hybrid View

Hooking up a dayton 1NXE3 3 phase unit to a single phase service.

I was wondering what my options were for supplying power to this unit. Do I need to get a phase converter? There is only single phase service at the residence.

Item Condensing Unit
    Type Heat Pump
    Nominal Capacity (Tons) 3.0
    Cooling SEER 13.0
    Cooling (BtuH) 36,000
    Heating BtuH 36,000
    Nominal Heating HSPF 8.0
    Voltage 208/230
    Phase 3
    Hz 60
    Height (In.) 39
    Width (In.) 27
    Depth (In.) 37
    Liquid Line Size (In.) 3/8
    Suction Line Size (In.) 7/8
    Min. Circuit Amps 14.3
    Max. Fuse Size 20
    Precharged With R-22
    Agency Compliance UL and CUL
    Includes Internal CompressorProtection

Any one have any suggestions.

Thanks,

What does the installer suggest?

If this is DIY please check out this link; http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=186644

Why 3 phase at a residence the converter will cost quite a lot

My old condenser unit has gone out and I received this unit new and on clearance without realizing that it is a 3 phase unit. My HVAC company that I use is installing the unit when it comes in this week but they do not do the electrical. My original unit had a deck built over it so I am moving the unit to the side to provide proper clearance. The HVAC company is then going to come out and re route my refridgerant lines.

It would cost more to have your electrical service upgraded than it would to go out and buy another new single phase condensing unit.

Did you buy this unit over the internet? If so please take a moment and read the fine print on the manufactures warranty policy. Most will not cover any warranty on units bought over the internet.

That being said, yes it is possible to get clean solid 3 phase power through the use of a properly sized, controlled, monitored rotary phase converter. However it will cost you many times over what you likely paid for this unit (please do not post prices).

My advise would be
    1. try to return it and get your money back
    2. sell it to someone who has 3 phase power
    3. talk to your utility co about the availability of three phase on your street(might not be too much $)
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbaron View Post
    Did you buy this unit over the internet? If so please take a moment and read the fine print on the manufactures warranty policy. Most will not cover any warranty on units bought over the internet.

That being said, yes it is possible to get clean solid 3 phase power through the use of a properly sized, controlled, monitored rotary phase converter. However it will cost you many times over what you likely paid for this unit (please do not post prices).

My advise would be
    1. try to return it and get your money back
    2. sell it to someone who has 3 phase power
    3. talk to your utility co about the availability of three phase on your street(might not be too much $)

Thanks for the information. I have been searching all over to see what options I would have with this unit and you are right. To have a get the correct phase convertor looks like it would run almost as much as the unit itself. Luckily I should be able to cancel the order as it will not ship till monday. I appreciate yours and everyones quick responses.