Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by YMHVAC View Post
    I wished I got paid for weekends... the company I work for collects for weekend calls but does not pay any extra to the techs!!! I wouldn't mind the weekends if there was a kickback...(besides having a job on Monday).
    If you work a regular 40 hour week and then go on call on the weekends your emplyer owes you money even if you don't go out on a call. Some on call jobs with small restrictions like needing to be within 15 minutes of the business or answer the phone 24/7 are exempt.

Service techs are not emergency workers and give up their prsonal life the entire time on call. Most large companies will pay 4 to 5 regular hours along with time and a half for anytime out on a call. Sounds like your employer is dancing on the edge of violating wage and labor laws. If your total hours worked and on call 24/7 hours add up to less than minimum wage when divided into your yearly pay, then they are not being fair with you and could face charges. The problem is you would have to be the whistle blower and that could end your career.

Find another place to work.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage16 View Post
    In the words of my college instructor, "Men anything Emergency that cannot wait til morning that is residential leave it alone, there will be other jobs, anything that is emergency and is commercial jump yourself out of bed or off the couch as quickly as possible to get that job done", Later in the year I asked him about this and why take the commercial over the residential emergency, his reasoning was anything commercial more than likely bare devestating cost to the company there for they are more than likely to pay that extra few hundred-a thousand more to protect that product, the residential costumer will argue to much. Quite an interesting point I thought and got a pretty good chuckle from it.
    LOL... Your instructor didn't do much commercial then.

They argue as much and often more over cost then residential customers.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It's an emergency, because it's MY house. And I decide what's an emergency.

WTF? $400?. You must think I'm a BANK PRESIDENT.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

The tech does not have to listen to it though
    I don't collect any cash or payments..they have a issue with what we charged i give them the office phone number. Now if you are in the office, well yea i bet they do gripe just as much. I have a list of places not to go to on after hours calls..u don't pay last months bill, u don't get emergency service

had one last sat nite...no ac 9pm..
    get there 9;30
    hasnt worked in 2 1/2 days..had to fix it tonite..
    they had co coming over sunday..

when asked why they waited so long...they thought it would start working again...

( this was after one of our new techs was there a week earlier for a clean and check...left all caps off the svc valves...OT FREEBIE on us )

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

You see while your statement is true, commercial guys WILL pay the cost because they face product loss, the product that is saved will more than make up for any cost lost due to repairs. Now the resident meaahhh thats too expensive....5 months later your still in court wasting valuble time.

For me, its
    Walk in down
    Heat out on a cold winter night
    Or if your willing to pay the overtime rate, I will be willing to do just about anything you want!
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Quote Originally Posted by Savage16 View Post
    You see while your statement is true, commercial guys WILL pay the cost because they face product loss, the product that is saved will more than make up for any cost lost due to repairs. Now the resident meaahhh thats too expensive....5 months later your still in court wasting valuble time.
    Commercial customers price shop as much as any residential customer. Got plenty that will say they can't afford X$ for what ever. And then call several other companies the next day, or that same day.

They just move their product to a working unit until they find some one cheaper.
    Contractor locator map

What is a normal overtime rate?

Double regular rate?

Quote Originally Posted by cturman View Post
    What is a normal overtime rate?

Double regular rate?
    Not something we discuss in the open forums.

What a company charges is up to them.
    Contractor locator map

There has been a lot of discussion of "over time rate" for emergencies. I was just wondering what that meant. I didn't expect a $ amount since I know that varies for lots of reasons.

I think you should charge extra for an emergency response.

I also think you should let people know it will be extra even if you don't know what it will cost until you get there.

You should also be honest with the customers. I had a friend with no AC for 3 days last year because it was really hot and the company promised a tech would be there today. 3 days in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by cturman View Post
    There has been a lot of discussion of "over time rate" for emergencies. I was just wondering what that meant. I didn't expect a $ amount since I know that varies for lots of reasons.

I think you should charge extra for an emergency response.

I also think you should let people know it will be extra even if you don't know what it will cost until you get there.

You should also be honest with the customers. I had a friend with no AC for 3 days last year because it was really hot and the company promised a tech would be there today. 3 days in a row.
    Most companies will let the customer know if additional charges apply for after hours, or for weekend rates over the phone before a tech comes out.
    Contractor locator map

We mainly have commercial HVAC clients and for us an emergency means anything that the customer is willing to pay 4hrs minimum at time and a half.
    On Christmas or other legal holidays it's 4hrs minimum at double time.
    The customer decides if it's a big enough emergency.
    We need a purchase order number before going on any emergency call.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast