Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    We get LOTS of new customers on after hours calls in the winter.

Call our number and someone answers, everytime, no matter the day or hour.

When I get there within a half hour and no other co. has called them back yet, guess who they think of next time something happens.

Quote Originally Posted by YMHVAC View Post
    I wished I got paid for weekends... the company I work for collects for weekend calls but does not pay any extra to the techs!!! I wouldn't mind the weekends if there was a kickback...(besides having a job on Monday).
    If you're over 40 for the week, they have to pay you overtime. Don't let them bs you....there is NO "employment agreement" that can circumvent that....and if they try the "salary" thing, they must be able to prove that you are in charge, in a supervisory capacity, of other employees.....the term is "exempt employee".
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Agree with the "Just Plan on working" statement

The company I work for (15% HVAC/85% controls) doesn't really have emergency Service as such. We have a dozen or so high profile (commercial) customers (Data Centers/Pharmacutical/Hospitals) that have our cell numbers and some even have our home phone numbers. If they call we GO Period, no arguement ! They already know after 5:00pm its OT. After 5:00 pm friday its OT wheather we have 40 hours in or not. They don't complain. Most of the time they say they are sorry for calling but it really is an emergency and so far they have been right every time. I love customers like that. Every one of them has a fresh pot of coffee ready when I get there (coffeoholic, I am)

When I worked Resi there was always someone that had an emergency that really wasn't. I always had the option of going but I always went cause it was good money (even way back then (the 80's))!

On the no OT thing. Check with the NLRB, they can be your best friend in such matters, plus they don't charge you anything (I think).
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

It is always an emergency when it's 100 degrees.One of our sup's gets an "emergency" call on July 4th..I have asthma,my AC doesn't work etc.He gets there(of course an hour away) to find the ENTIRE family outside playing badminton in the stifling heat.Nice asthma lol.As if lying to us about a medical condition will get a better deal...Between the lies,the heat and the holiday their price just doubled at least.The problem was only a Rheem D.O.B timer in the condenser Cha Ching$$$$.We don't mind being on call because we get paid from the time we answer the phone until we get home.Unless the customer is disabled,senior citizen or on oxygen no "special" deals for them....

Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    An emergency: Anything the customer is willing to pay for at "emergency rates"!

Exactly!

If they are not willing to pay OT, then it isn't much of an emergency.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

On the college campus where I work an emergency is no heat in the winter, damage occuring to equipment, or danger to people.

No A/C, (with certain exceptions) catch you Monday. Product loss from freezer going down, catch you Monday...product is already lost. Ice machine not making ice for beverages, catch you Monday. Ice cream machine down, catch you Monday.

There have been times that I have had to go in for one or more of these, but usually it is my discretion or political that causes that to happen.

But if you are on-call, get paid, be happy/polite, get done quick...I have even offered "band-aids" to get by the weekend and save the customer money and go back at a regular rate.

My dog has heart problems.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    the typical cheapskate "I'm on a fixed income" routine.
    Last time a customer mentioned their "fixed income" to me I told them a fixed income must be pretty nice compared to the decreasing incomes that so many people are facing these days.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    Last time a customer mentioned their "fixed income" to me I told them a fixed income must be pretty nice compared to the decreasing incomes that so many people are facing these days.
    I had one of those this morning...."I'm on a fixed income".....well, you're better off than I am, because MY income depends on getting paid by my customers....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

I have a friend who does residential who has stories similar. One was a lady who was on a "fixed" income who complained and harped at him from finish to the end of a motor replacement on a central air unit and would not pay the bill....never did. He and his wife went on a vacation for the first time in five years to Vegas. Guess who he saw there? Yup , the lady sitting at the slot machine yelling at it every time she put money in and didn't win! I guess that was factored into her fixed income!

After my afternoon, no emergency is getting me in this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Here's a solution.....

When you guys are on-call for the weekend.....just plan on WORKING!!!

If a customer calls me because they have 1 of their 4 systems not working,
    I just quote them the weekend rates and if they accept, I am on my way....

I quote a weekend diagnostic which pays me double....
    Then I quote for the repairs once I know what needs fixed....

If they decline the repairs so what.....I made double time for the diagnostic
    and I am headed home.....

Being on-call sucks.....but just plan on working and it makes it better.....

During the summer, I can make more in 2 days on call than I can all week....

If they are willing to pay.....I am willing to work.....very simple......

Oh....and if they ask for a simple tune-up.....I explain to them....

Weekends are over time rates.....I can do your tune up today if you don't
    mind paying double what they would cost you on Monday....if they agree...
    I head to work...

It sucks....it sucks.....it sucks.....and yet it also smells like money....
    This is the attitude you need to have. When I am on call, I plan on doing the projects around the house I hate. One of 2 things happen: I get a chore done that I hate doing or I get out of it because I have to go to work. It's a win win situation.

In the words of my college instructor, "Men anything Emergency that cannot wait til morning that is residential leave it alone, there will be other jobs, anything that is emergency and is commercial jump yourself out of bed or off the couch as quickly as possible to get that job done", Later in the year I asked him about this and why take the commercial over the residential emergency, his reasoning was anything commercial more than likely bare devestating cost to the company there for they are more than likely to pay that extra few hundred-a thousand more to protect that product, the residential costumer will argue to much. Quite an interesting point I thought and got a pretty good chuckle from it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast