Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MAHENT View Post
    Emergency verses Urgency

Possible loss of product (walk ins)
    Ice machine failure.
    A/C failure above 85 amb temp.
    Heat failure below 45
    Water line breaks (no way to shut off)

Are you willing to pay $$$.$$ for the emergency service call, Oh. Ok, see you first thing in the morning.
    I concur. But unfortunately, as mentioned before, I have about a squirt of piss in a decision on who I go on call for. I mean my boss understands if it's something simple, and he doesn't want to involve me, and it's just an easy diagnosis and fix, he's all for not sending me. Either him or his partner will do it. They're both real cool about it. But sometimes not so much.

Each customer has their individual level of self-importance.
    Had a lady become enraged at me for not wanting to do regular maintenance on her 2 systems on a Sunday, the 4th of July in the rain.
    A week later, as I sat in a restaurant with my family, she came over to our table wagging her finger at me saying
    "I KNEW YOU WHEN YOU WERE NOTHING!"

Quote Originally Posted by midhvac View Post
    Each customer has their individual level of self-importance.
    Had a lady become enraged at me for not wanting to do regular maintenance on her 2 systems on a Sunday, the 4th of July in the rain.
    A week later, as I sat in a restaurant with my family, she came over to our table wagging her finger at me saying
    "I KNEW YOU WHEN YOU WERE NOTHING!"
    I love it !!

Had a lady a few weeks ago, call for a check up on THREE systems.....the typical cheapskate "I'm on a fixed income" routine.

Last year, she snookered me, by calling and asking what I charged to check her air conditioning. I gave her a price, only to discover upon arrival, that she had THREE systems.....

So, anyway, last year she decides that she should get a senior citizen discount from my quoted $ charge.

This year, I recognize her name and address....I knew this was gonna be trouble. So, I billed her a measly $ for servicing three units, just for the sake of peace and tranquility.

She calls when she gets the bill, throwing a fit.....I politely told her to throw the bill away, that she owed me nothing, but to please not call us again.

Yesterday in the mail, I get a check for $.....a figure that she arbitrarily chose based on what she paid last year. Along with a nasty note about how she was 85 years old and on a fixed income, and that my dad wouldn't have talked to her that way.

3500 square foot house, in the "old money" part of town......guess I know why she has money
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-15-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: prices
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Mid, I'd have knocked her flat out. I personally hate people like that. Because they're trying to get ahead in life by flogging others with their own self-importance...which is the same as flogging someone with a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    An emergency: Anything the customer is willing to pay for at "emergency rates"!

Most people with money will do anything to keep it!!!!

They want things for free or at a discount, yet ask them for same(at their place of business) and they will all but kill you with a look or insult.

My favorite and weekend call is... "Hi, this is _______! My a/c is out and it really hot in here. I need someone out here ASAP! I own a new house in_____!" I get there and its 78-80 degrees in the 2,200sqft upstairs and 70degrees in the 1990sqft downstairs. They say, "We can't live upstairs because it is sooooo hot" , even though they have plenty of space downstairs to hangout till Monday! You've rushed over because the irrate person on the other end of the line is about to die. I drove out to find that someone has tried to change their own tstat, and tried to cover it up by putting the old one on before I got there.
    WTF!

Here's a solution.....

When you guys are on-call for the weekend.....just plan on WORKING!!!

If a customer calls me because they have 1 of their 4 systems not working,
    I just quote them the weekend rates and if they accept, I am on my way....

I quote a weekend diagnostic which pays me double....
    Then I quote for the repairs once I know what needs fixed....

If they decline the repairs so what.....I made double time for the diagnostic
    and I am headed home.....

Being on-call sucks.....but just plan on working and it makes it better.....

During the summer, I can make more in 2 days on call than I can all week....

If they are willing to pay.....I am willing to work.....very simple......

Oh....and if they ask for a simple tune-up.....I explain to them....

Weekends are over time rates.....I can do your tune up today if you don't
    mind paying double what they would cost you on Monday....if they agree...
    I head to work...

It sucks....it sucks.....it sucks.....and yet it also smells like money....
    I need a new signature.....

Got that one right!!!!!

An emergency: Anything the customer is willing to pay for at "emergency rates"!

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Here's a solution.....

I wished I got paid for weekends... the company I work for collects for weekend calls but does not pay any extra to the techs!!! I wouldn't mind the weekends if there was a kickback...(besides having a job on Monday).

Quote Originally Posted by YMHVAC View Post
    I wished I got paid for weekends... the company I work for collects for weekend calls but does not pay any extra to the techs!!! I wouldn't mind the weekends if there was a kickback...(besides having a job on Monday).

Dude, I'd be looking for a new job! I'm not foregoing my weekend just so you can pay me the same rate as all week...F that!
    "It's not an OLD unit, it's a testament to old school manufacturing of quality over quantity." http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...608_092209.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DMACCGrad11 View Post
    Dude, I'd be looking for a new job! I'm not foregoing my weekend just so you can pay me the same rate as all week...F that!
    X2. F That!!

DMACCGrad11: Are you working over 40 hrs a week, or is he giving you a day off?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Here's a solution.....

During the summer, I can make more in 2 days on call than I can all week....

If they are willing to pay.....I am willing to work.....very simple......

Oh....and if they ask for a simple tune-up.....I explain to them....

Weekends are over time rates.....I can do your tune up today if you don't
    mind paying double what they would cost you on Monday....if they agree...
    I head to work...

It sucks....it sucks.....it sucks.....and yet it also smells like money....

I agree, if your on call, then plan on working, its that simple. This dude should be happy he is employed. I cant count how many sun-ups to sun-downs I have done this summer alone. But now I dont have to worry about the slow times, because the money will be there to keep everybody employed.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast