Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Something I get paid O.T. for?
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck65 View Post
    Must be nice to have some choice in the matter. When I'm on call it goes through a call service. When I get the call i go. When I get there I give the customer the options and prices. They make the choice. I do the work. On an "emergency" or "after hours" call I bill from time the call service called me , to when I get home.
    Almost the same here. I don't get paid for the trip home though. Answering machine says after hours rate before giving the phone number to call for after hours service. They are to tell the customer the rate again before calling me.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If your an employee. Your company will TELL you what they consider an emergency.

If your self employed, you get to decide.

Its that simple.
    Yep.....everyone thinks their problem is an emergency, and more important than anything or anyone else in your life.

And it's pretty rare that I take a new customer after hours.....especially when they tell me that I was recommended by their usual jake-leg moonlight service guy
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

My all-time two "emergency" calls:

"Dis Jimmy Cheng wife at Peking Chineese res-rahnt....my little box is hot...you come fix quick....emergenceeee"

and then the cold January night at the "Oriental Spa"......I'd be willing to bet I'm the only guy who ever went in that place.....and walked OUT with cash
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

I used to work for a company that stated:
    Shocking
    Burning
    Flooding
    (property damaging)
    LIFE threatening

Constitutes an emergency.
    And I agree.
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    "Dis Jimmy Cheng wife at Peking Chineese res-rahnt....my little box is hot...you come fix quick....emergenceeee"
    Next time you get this call..call me and I will fly out to handle that for you!

in my previous company what constituted an emergency was if the customer had a dollar and they thought that they could get it.

My company usually doesn't call me after dark. Unless it's a call for the next morning...however, I have yet to see the Winter plays yet. Unfortunately, however, my company considers "emergency" to be "My buddy needs some work done to his AC. Sadly, the work is not what I handle. That pisses me off to no end, because I spent over two hours of my weekend, on their time, to do something that someone else has to do. Our company, by local code, is not allowed to have someone change the breakers in the disconnect panel. We're only allowed to fix anything from there on. But one guy called, and wanted me to fix his air conditioner. Nothing was wrong, aside for the breaker was fried. I mean melted. He wanted ME to fix that. I told him it was an electrician's problem, wrote him down for an hour (and that's what I'm told to do bare minimum on the weekend), and got the hell out of Dodge.

I'm not paid on the windshield time to get there or home.

when i do go on a emergency call my time is from port to port...pulling out of driveway till i pull back in. The office does the billing, but in residential or where you have to collect i can see how your not being able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by DMACCGrad11 View Post
    My company usually doesn't call me after dark. Unless it's a call for the next morning...however, I have yet to see the Winter plays yet. Unfortunately, however, my company considers "emergency" to be "My buddy needs some work done to his AC. Sadly, the work is not what I handle. That pisses me off to no end, because I spent over two hours of my weekend, on their time, to do something that someone else has to do. Our company, by local code, is not allowed to have someone change the breakers in the disconnect panel. We're only allowed to fix anything from there on. But one guy called, and wanted me to fix his air conditioner. Nothing was wrong, aside for the breaker was fried. I mean melted. He wanted ME to fix that. I told him it was an electrician's problem, wrote him down for an hour (and that's what I'm told to do bare minimum on the weekend), and got the hell out of Dodge.

I'm not paid on the windshield time to get there or home.
    It is time to dicuss to your boss how much your time is worth when not on your regular hours before it gets out of hand and you get taken advantage of.

BTW John, I love your ava...not many people show Klinger love anymore.

24 Hr "Emergency" service calls

Emergency verses Urgency

Possible loss of product (walk ins)
    Ice machine failure.
    A/C failure above 85 amb temp.
    Heat failure below 45
    Water line breaks (no way to shut off)

Are you willing to pay $$$.$$ for the emergency service call, Oh. Ok, see you first thing in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    when i do go on a emergency call my time is from port to port...pulling out of driveway till i pull back in. The office does the billing, but in residential or where you have to collect i can see how your not being able to do that.
    I know, I'm going to discuss that this week. It has been something brought up in conversation how much of an inconvenience the distance is. It's not like I'm not trying to find something local. Most of the places here have techs laid off though. Short of getting my master license and getting my own truck, I'm kinda fubared.

I'm thinking about asking my boss for windshield time. Especially if I'm going to be driving back and forth enough to use almost two tanks of gas in a weekend. That's a little extreme if I'm only billing six hours. Even if we don't bill the customer the weekend rate. The way I see it, either way, he's still making money over paying me. That's what I hate about having one boss who's greedy as f*** and one who's cool. Someone needs to unwedge the silver spoon from his ass.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast