Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Define: "Emergency"

It says 24 Hour Emergency Service on the side of my van.

Define Emergency?

It seems like I'm running an hour each way, taking valuable time out of my weekend to fix broken air conditioners for people who are just having a party.

Sidebar: How do you feel about those freaking energy management boxes from the utility company? They are a pain in my testicles. I hate them with the fire of a thousand suns and I would rather just take any of them I encounter off the damn wall. I had one today that says you must place it upright for rain tight security...guess what. It got wet as hell with this tropical torrential downpours we've been experiencing here in Iowa lately. Water just poured out when I opened the door.

Okay, but back to it. I understand that people have the right to feel comfortable, but seriously, a party does not an emergency constitute. Now if you had no hot water, and you have a three month old, and you need to boil water (especially if you're in Ames). THEN I understand a need. Or if you are over 60 and under 5, in this tropical zone, you NEED Air conditioning or heat.

Okay, stepping off my soapbox. But I must know, what are your thoughts.

What i have constituted an emergency

Sever loss of product (coolers freezers)
    cooling is for production of a product or a server room
    no heat when its under 30F (type of space does not matter)

If u say its been out all day and its 9pm and the bar is filling up with people, i will see in the morning.

An emergency: Anything the customer is willing to pay for at "emergency rates"!

Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    An emergency: Anything the customer is willing to pay for at "emergency rates"!
    Bingo.....we have a winner!!
    I need a new signature.....

I understand you are new to this business, so I will help you out.

Everyone that has an a/c problem on the weekend has a heart condition and will DIE, unless you come out there and fix it now.
    Most of the calls that come in after 5pm have been down most of the day, if not the day before. In some cases longer than that. I was called out at 11pm on a Sunday night to a home. The coil had a big hole from a steak knife de-icer. I could tell that it had been down for a while. They wanted to know how much to get it fixed. I told them $$$$ to replace the coil. The lady freaked out and said that is $$$ more than you guys told me 2 years ago I told her I was going to have to add more to the quote since the system had been opened to the atmosphere that long, and that there would be no warranty on anything that we touched. I packed up collected my fee. On the way out her 30 yr old live in son told me that she had won some money on a scratch-off ticket and was going to fix the a/c.
    Anyway the gist of it is that the sign says "emergency", not who's emergency. Its an emergency because there is a paying customer and your sitting at home...

guessing he should have specified residential only.

Ive been asked to do a clean and check on a restaurant on a Sunday night...told them no and to call the office Monday morning to schedule a day for us to do that. Company owner had no problem with what i told them.

I don't work on A/C's after dark. I will go any other time though.

I don't charge an after hours rate her in town.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Sorry, but I'm booked for the evening. I have an opening tomorrow at 10 a.m. Are you available then?

-- Yep it's that simple. Plus, my phone is off after 9 p.m. most nights.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Must be nice to have some choice in the matter. When I'm on call it goes through a call service. When I get the call i go. When I get there I give the customer the options and prices. They make the choice. I do the work. On an "emergency" or "after hours" call I bill from time the call service called me , to when I get home.
    Local 234
    Have Gauge$ Will Travel

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck65 View Post
    Must be nice to have some choice in the matter. When I'm on call it goes through a call service. When I get the call i go. When I get there I give the customer the options and prices. They make the choice. I do the work. On an "emergency" or "after hours" call I bill from time the call service called me , to when I get home.
    Two questions: Does your call service explain your emergency and after hours charges up front and do you charge for showing up even if they decide not to do the work at that time?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    What i have constituted an emergency

Sever loss of product (coolers freezers)
    cooling is for production of a product or a server room
    no heat when its under 30F (type of space does not matter)

If u say its been out all day and its 9pm and the bar is filling up with people, i will see in the morning.
    I would say those are the TRUE reasons for an emergency call.

Define Emergency:

When the toilet paper doesn't match the wall paper.

At least for some around here.

If your an employee. Your company will TELL you what they consider an emergency.

If your self employed, you get to decide.

Its that simple.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast