Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Test drove a Ford E 150 van, have question

I test drove a 2005 Ford E 150 today with only 62k miles on it.
    Drove good, but here was something that I noticed.
    When I was already up to about 45 mph, when i kicked the throttle down, the RPM would go up to about 4 and 5000rpm, and it just didn't feel like the power was getting to the ground for about 2 seconds or so. When it did seem to increase speed, it didn't jerk or feel like it had a lot of torque, it just gradually sped up. I am used to a bigger motor I assume, and thus the torque, but what I am questioning is why did the rpm raise and it not seem like it was immediately raising the speed? I understand an automatic will drop the gear or plate, but that takes a small amount of time and usually you feel a lot of torque.
    Anyway, the van is in great shape otherwise, and the guy is asking 8500, but I got him down to 8000.
    Whats the verdict?
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

Hmmm. Could be a transmission problem.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Spending $8000 on a used van certainly would support the need to have it checked out by a reputable mechanic.

Hummm... Sounds a little "funny" to me. I'll say this, it's not a power-house with the V-6! I usually drive pretty conservatively and get 15 to 16 mpg. I'll check my '03 Wednesday but I don't remember it feeling like it wasn't hooked up for a couple of seconds when you nail it.

Unless it's Like New the 8k price seems a little high. Have you checked Edmunds.com for pricing (or KBB.com)? Here on the Coast there's tons of used service vans for sale but most are high mileage.
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

If it's got the 6 cylinder in there, I'd watch out. I've got an F150 with 6 cylinder. The tranny went out a little less than 100K miles on it. They really aren't good for service and all the miles that get put on them in a short amount of time. The guy that rebuilt the tranny told me the transmissions just aren't up to it. Especially stopping and starting and loading them up with tools and equipment. I only get 15 or 16 mpg with that thing.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    If it's got the 6 cylinder in there, I'd watch out. I've got an F150 with 6 cylinder. The tranny went out a little less than 100K miles on it. They really aren't good for service and all the miles that get put on them in a short amount of time. The guy that rebuilt the tranny told me the transmissions just aren't up to it. Especially stopping and starting and loading them up with tools and equipment. I only get 15 or 16 mpg with that thing.

Any Dad-gum Idea What A "TRANNY" is? Well, it is not bolted to an engine. Yes, I did get Banned from another forum about this word.
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

you may regret buying a 1/2 ton van down the road...
    when ya get it loaded w shelves parts etc they start getting heavy..
    when ya get into the 3/4 1 tons..heavier brakes, springs etc...

We run a e-250 loaded with tools and equipment. It's a rattletrap but tough. Gets a whopping 7mpg around town. Almost never sees the highway. 90,000 miles 4 batteries 3sets of tires 3 brake jobs and lots of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by pauls heating & View Post
    you may regret buying a 1/2 ton van down the road...
    when ya get it loaded w shelves parts etc they start getting heavy..
    when ya get into the 3/4 1 tons..heavier brakes, springs etc...
    X2 a little light for our biz, great for a florist or carpet installer, plus that tranny sounds a little flunky?

I've got an 07 E250 with a 5.4L V-8. I get about 10-12 mpg with it and it's loaded down. Mine acts very similar to what you're describing, when I put my foot into it, the engine revs up but it doesn't really seem to go right away. It's been like this from day 1. I got the van with about 20 miles on it, got 70,500 on it now, still drives the same. Must be a Ford thing. I was supposed to get a E350 with a V-10, but the transmission went out on my old van(140,000 miles) before the new one that was ordered came in. I was stuck with what was on the lot. Can't really complain too much though, it is a newer van and has PW, PL and keyless entry.

The engine should never reach 5000 RPM while in drive under any conditions. I would say the transmission is on it's way out.

Quote Originally Posted by jegs View Post
    The engine should never reach 5000 RPM while in drive under any conditions. I would say the transmission is on it's way out.
    When I've got the cruise set and I'm climbing a hill and it kicks out of overdrive, my engine will rev up to 4500 - 5000 rpm, has done it since day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by big sky hvac View Post
    When I've got the cruise set and I'm climbing a hill and it kicks out of overdrive, my engine will rev up to 4500 - 5000 rpm, has done it since day 1.
    Must be dropping down a few gears to compensate for the smaller engine? Sounds logical to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast