frymaster portable oil fitration vs. footprint pro filtration

Any opinions on these two different types of filtering.

I am leaning towards the portable.

Seems the portable would be easier to work on. And they are half the cost of the Footprint Pro.

I haven't been involved in the hot side for a while , but I thought a built-in filtration system was the norm nowdays...especially with the LOVs and the programming for cook cycle filtering.

Built in's work fine IF the customer/users operate it correctly.

Worse thing is "cold"grease left in lines, pain to clean out.

My only gripe with Frymaster is they wrap the oil lines with heat tape and cover with metal duct tape.

All that's ok at the factory, but change a bad heat tape in the field

No one at Frymaster can explain to me how to get tape to stick to grease.

If heat tape is not kept tight to lines you will be back to do it all over again.

So depends on customer.

I have worked on both. Built in is kind of a pain to work on. Replacing the motor or pump on the new style frymasters is not easy. portable is much easier to work on. If I had the choice I would choose portable.

Agree with MwTechInc heat tape can be a pain to replace, some are not easily accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by jackintheboxtec View Post
    I have worked on both. Built in is kind of a pain to work on. Replacing the motor or pump on the new style frymasters is not easy. portable is much easier to work on. If I had the choice I would choose portable.

Agree with MwTechInc heat tape can be a pain to replace, some are not easily accessible.
    Thats what I was thinkin, portable = more service/repair friendly...we have a frymaster (96 model ) with built in, pain to work on filtration problems. I am suggesting portable going forward.

Portable is easier to work on

When it does fail the portable unit will be wheeled out back and fixed. The built in unit is fixed on the line under everybodys' feet, and the fryers are down until the repair is completed.

Whoops - didn't realize I was waking up such an old thread...
    Last edited by cjpwalker; 03-17-2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: added stuff

I never have liked fryer modules or built in pumps. They are a grease catcher and a PIA to work on. If for some reason the customer has to buy a new fryer then they must replace the whole unit. Having individual units will save you money in the long run. I have one customer who has an extra single fryer and when one of his breaks he rolls his spare in and pops on the gas line. The broken on gets a thorough clean before I come out for repairs.