foster 6 door ricl---2 evaps,cap tubes to both,small receiver,are'nt receivers a nono due to critical charge---unit works fine,repaired 134a leak,but questioning my teachers cognizance at lesson day,had a tight relationship with capt morgan

It's not a "critical" charge, but it's an important one.

You can run receivers with cap tubes, hacks have been doing it for years, usually with great success.

It is also probably needed on a unit that has to caps feeding separate evaporators.

thanxxx

You got to remember the purpose of a receiver. Level in a receiver will change, when used with TXV due to TXV repositioning through out all load conditions. We need the receiver to still deliver a full column of liquid to the TXV
    when she is at her most opened full load position. Then she closes all the way down to her most closed. That refrigerant has to go somewhere. If it goes back into condenser were going to reduce the effective condensing surface and then raise our head.

Cap tube wants liquid only too. But it wants it at the most constant pressure it can give. With out the receiver and a precise charge we can give her a more constant.

So you tell me. Why on earth would you use a receiver when not needed. You will use more refrigerant for sure. All kinds of things.

I hate cap tubes. Especially now with the new gas and oil. And the fact that most systems that use these things are always in neglect of maintenance. You over heat that oil and you got a mess on your hands. By the time you fix them things for that, you could have bought a new system. There throw away anymore.

There are two LARGE cap tubes on that system. That could be something that the manufacturer engineered into that unit to prevent starving out one evap.

If the cap tubes are sized right, and the unit isn't overcharged, it'll work OK.

I'd rather not see it, On a unit serving two evaps, I can't think of one good reason not to put TXV's on it, other than initial cost, and you're not saving all that much by going to caps.