Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Central air conditioner not working.

Hello,
    First post here.

My air con. quit after 28 years of good service.
    Called the man and he said the condenser was out
    bcause of thermal overload. He recharged the unit
    and it worked for today.....then crapped out again
    tonight. I suspect a leak now but what should I expect
    from the service peeps?
    Thanks, Dan.

Get a new service tech and a new system.

Quote Originally Posted by jegs View Post
    Get a new service tech and a new system.

Good advice, but lets send him in the right direction.

Your system more than likely has a leak. Systems don't normally need recharges, they are sealed systems.

Find a tech that will fix the cause, not treat the symptoms. Be aware, he will cost more.

I would have gassed it up so you had some cooling. After that we would spend a few minutes talking about the cost of finding and fixing a leak on a 28 year old system vs taking advantage of rebates & tax credits that are available right now on a new system. IMO it's silly to spend a bunch on repairs on something that old but I'm not the one paying for it.

28 years old?...that thing doesnt owe you a dime...replace it!
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

I have no idea where you're located so rather than advice, I'll just give an opinion. If you use the AC very much, a 28-year old system is robbing you blind. No doubt you've had at least one replacement car since 1982? And no doubt the car you most recently purchased gets more miles per gallon and is less polluting, allbeit at a higher purchase price than the 1982 model. Well the same is true for your AC unit. A new unit would be on the order of magnitude more efficient than what you've been running. It's also less polluting and there are many, many more benefits and creature comforts on todays equiment than on the 1982 units. So do yourself a favor and invite a high quality company out to help you through the replacement process. It's my belief that no money should be spent on a 28-year old system.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

But it's got sentimental value whats that worth ?

Thanks everyone for reading and the replies. My 28 yr. old system did me a favor Thursday. The man from Allied came out and tired to get it compressor up and going as it was going to be such a hot day. No luck, in my favor. The compressor died. End of story for that thing.
    To try and make a long story short, I called Allied and they sent a salesman
    right out. He measured my house and recommended a replacement unit.
    I was a Carrier 2 1/2 ton. unit that used R22 freon. That way they didn't need to replace the evap. coil inside the house.
    It's all hooked up and working great.
    Thanks again,
    Dan.

I was a Carrier 2 1/2 ton. unit that used R22 freon. That way they didn't need to replace the evap. coil inside the house.

Oh Boy! I hope that the evaporator coil is not 28 years old and that it had been replaced in the last 10 years.

I'm sure the company told you that R-22 is being fazed out and the the price for repairs using R-22 are going to go crazy in the next few years?

Did they offer you a 410A system at all?

Don't expect this unit to last as long as the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDog91 View Post

Oh Boy! I hope that the evaporator coil is not 28 years old and that it had been replaced in the last 10 years.

I'm sure the company told you that R-22 is being fazed out and the the price for repairs using R-22 are going to go crazy in the next few years?

To late it looks like it is all ready a done deal.

The evap. coil is the same age as the whole system was. At least 28 yrs. The salesman did offer me a 410A system but said it would cost much more for the whole installation. H seemed very pleased to be able to offer me the other option. The older R-22 one. It was mentioned that the R-22 is being fazed out, but nothing about the cost of repairs for R-22 systems in the future. I guess they saw me coming and found a chance to rid them selves of
    an older R-22 unit.
    Should I expect problems with the old evap. coil in the near future and if so why?
    Thanks, Dan.

Did anyone actually look at your coil to see what condition it is in ?

R-22 will be produced until 2020.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast