tough old fedders

this is one of many old fedders up flow furnace units, that i inherited last sept. '09. got this call early . tenant actually put out the fire by throwing a glass of water on it. the problem here is poor maintenance. this unit is 40 plus years old.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Time to retire that thing its 7 years older than me.

The good thing about this old ones are that there are not many parts to change out. You could run that thing for another 40 years. Don't worry about burning the house down or CO poisoning.

first thing the property manager asked me was "can you rebuild it?". i said " sure, but the gas company wont turn the gas back on to it. they condemmed it before i ever arrived on site".once i pulled it out, i checked the heat exchanger out. it didnt have a hole in it anywhere. made me feel better about the other 25 or 30 still in service on the property.

Quote Originally Posted by glmsr View Post
    first thing the property manager asked me was "can you rebuild it?". i said " sure, but the gas company wont turn the gas back on to it. they condemmed it before i ever arrived on site".once i pulled it out, i checked the heat exchanger out. it didnt have a hole in it anywhere. made me feel better about the other 25 or 30 still in service on the property.
    If there is no hole then there is a large amount of rust build up in the HEX. It could also be lack of combustion air.

Around here contractors used to just cut two holes in the furnace closet door and put soffit vents over the holes. They did not remove the bug screens so years later they plugged up and we would see just what happened to this unit. The flame, starved for oxygen would start "looking" for oxygen to burn. Fire can be a very creepy thing when out of control.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

these units have alot of rust in the tubes. like all gas units do, if they are not cleaned regularly. i agree thats likely the cause of this one burning. they need to be cleaned, badly. the one in the pics made it til march. they were using a/c during the day and heat at night. i clean the ones i work on, and i secure the relays, transformers and caps as i find them. but i have 105 units to run by myself. and i do every trade there is, not just a/c. i seem to do mostly emergency response, instead of pm. i have 36, 8 year old (YORK) split heat pumps, with AH in the attic, 36, new to very old (multiple brand) gas furn. and 35 (multiple brand) window units. i hate window units! they are talking about remodeling, im trying to get them to go with dual zone mini splits, to replace the window units! and 95% HE gas furnaces with hot water systems. oh yeah, the condensers for the gas units are on the roof. several of the gas furnaces will have to be removed in order to replace the hot water heater, the closet they are in has an 16 inch louvered door. 18" water heaters dont fit! ill take some pics and let you see what the architect thought would be adequate space, for 2 gas appliances.

What were the air conditioners like, were they Fedders as well?

nope, all the fedders condensers are gone. they are a mixed and mis matched bunch of brands. this complex was built in the 60"s, so there have been many techs thru the years. mostly in this industry, if a tech cant figure out the problem, they just change it out.

Quote Originally Posted by glmsr View Post
    Clean out the flues, rebuild the wiring, and fire that baby up...
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

it could have been done. but...
    #1. the gas co. red tagged the unit.
    #2. i didnt have time to argue with them. the tenant was gonna need heat that night.
    #3. it now has a matched coil and condenser and the tenants elec. bill was remarkably lower this summer.
    #4. my junk man has kids to feed.