Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi everyone, this is my zaga: All over the air handler, tipical replacement instalation, over existing piping, this brand new unit( 2 months)get wet all over specially in the front panel where the electrical switch is located( Rheem Classic series, 3 ton, 12 eer, split unit) It didn't happens with the old unit, which was a miss macht( 3 ton out, 2.5 inside)and we decide to replace after it develop a leak outside) Not only is more expensive to operate now(?) but the acumulation of water is so bad that if a leave it in auto will leak in the kitchen( nearest vent from air handler, so to control the problem I runn the system in on position and 78 which is kind of unpleasent here in florida, any light? ( Pro installed, guy died right after the unit was instaled..)
    * not visible air leaks in air handler,water discharge appear to be fine. Thanks for any input. Happy Trails

Is the furnace & coil in an conditioned space?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    If he died what happened to the company?Have you tried the phone number,somone usually picks up the business/

Rheem,if it's an air handler,the supply duct is likely too large.
    Post model number and size of the supply duct coming off the air handler.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrbillpro
    Is the furnace & coil in an conditioned space? [/QUOTE)
    No, like most garages around here, also didn't happens with the old unit. make me wonder if the insulation inside the air handler walls is some new stuff that is not insulating properly? Thanks.

Wink

Originally posted by dash
    If he died what happened to the company?Have you tried the phone number,somone usually picks up the business/

What you mean by too large? the duct has now a funny shape like is been "reduced" at the attaching point with the air handler to fit..compared with the old air handler, that looked even with the unit, this Rheem appear to be smaller so the duct is bigger, is like one of those skinny guys with a turbant! comprende? anyway , thanks and hold on until I get home (at work right now )and I will pass the model number and size of the supply duct.
    Only the wife answer the home phone and frankly dont feel like bothering without trying my self*.

*sort of

Originally posted by olman

What you mean by too large? the duct has now a funny shape like is been "reduced" at the attaching point with the air handler to fit..compared with the old air handler, that looked even with the unit, this Rheem appear to be smaller so the duct is bigger, is like one of those skinny guys with a turbant! comprende? anyway , thanks and hold on until I get home (at work right now )and I will pass the model number and size of the supply duct.
    Only the wife answer the home phone and frankly dont feel like bothering without trying my self*.

*sort of

The Rheem air handler has the the fan at the top of the unit.This requires about 18" of that smaller sized duct you noticed,before going to the larger size duct.

Without this it will not produce enough cfms(aur flow),with low air flow the coil will get too cold and the air handler will sweat.

Can you check the air temp. entering and leaving the air handler,or as close to that as possible?Check after 15 minutes of run time.

*sort of

The Rheem air handler has the the fan at the top of the unit.This requires about 18" of that smaller sized duct you noticed,before going to the larger size duct.

Without this it will not produce enough cfms(aur flow),with low air flow the coil will get too cold and the air handler will sweat.

Can you check the air temp. entering and leaving the air handler,or as close to that as possible?Check after 15 minutes of run time.

Dash, still at work but do you mean that wherever is the size of the air handler shall continue to be the same on the duct for another 18"?

*sort of

Dash, still at work but do you mean that wherever is the size of the air handler shall continue to be the same on the duct for another 18"?

The air handler has an opening for dischrge/supply air ,at the top.This is much smaller than the cabinet,that size must be maintained for 18" or so,it's in the instrctions,before going to a larger dcut.

Most other brands ,do not have the blower at the top,so it's not required,and their supply openings are larger.

Your description sounded like he just tapered from the smaller opening to the larger duct in a short space.If so,this could be the problem.

Dash, just got home an hour ago, unit was "resting" at 78 on AUTO, now is at 76 ON the readings as per your request: 65 at first exit and 76 at return ( dont have a "needle" thermometer to get more close)
    Hair handler:RBHC-17J11SF (18 by 21.3/4)
    The house original duct is 20 by 20, the "conector" piece of duct is: 18 by 22 by 11" high (AHA!) Thanks

Dash, just got home an hour ago, unit was "resting" at 78 on AUTO, now is at 76 ON the readings as per your request: 65 at first exit and 76 at return ( dont have a "needle" thermometer to get more close)
    The house original duct is 20 by 20, the "conector" piece of duct is: 18 by 22 by 11" high (AHA!) Thanks
    The duct size off the air handler ,needs to be reduced to the "takeoff size size,the takeoff is much smaller,it is at the top center,of the air handler,though you can't see it now,it's there.

The temp difference is very low,surprized it's sweating.

There are issues with the temp drop,you need to call a Pro.I'd go with a dealer that's listed under Rheem in the yellow pages.

Forget all you just read, Two things....

Either the flanges werent folded up prior to installation (See big orange sticker) Look inside the plenum to see, or the ductwork is undersized. (which is likely sized for 2 tons at best)

The regain sleeve you describe is not required when installed on proper ductwork, if however the ductwork is marginal, the regain sleeve may help the unit attain the added static to overcome the additional friction caused by the imporper ducts.

Bottom line, proper installtion and ductwork is crucial to equipment efficiency and reliability.

Also, duct leakage around the plenum and exposed ducts can cause cool air to overcome any insulation and will cool the metal below dewpoint. Is the plenum insulated and sealed?

The duct size off the air handler ,needs to be reduced to the "takeoff size size,the takeoff is much smaller,it is at the top center,of the air handler,though you can't see it now,it's there.

The temp difference is very low,surprized it's sweating.

There are issues with the temp drop,you need to call a Pro.I'd go with a dealer that's listed under Rheem in the yellow pages.
    THanks Dash, was waiting for your answer. this clear almost everything, this guy just wraparound the top of the unit, went to Rheem PDF files and got a picture of what I was unable to see: the smaller opening 12 by 18 aprox. also say that the duct flange for that porpouse is supplied which make me wonder that came loose in the box and the guy tossed away not knowing what to do with it..if is that the case will put a dent on this "winter proyect" but chances are the flange is still there, can't aford the service man right know but dont look to dificult just straigh up at least 18" Happy Trails.

Originally posted by docholiday
    Forget all you just read, Two things....

Either the flanges werent folded up prior to installation (See big orange sticker) Look inside the plenum to see, or the ductwork is undersized. (which is likely sized for 2 tons at best)

The regain sleeve you describe is not required when installed on proper ductwork, if however the ductwork is marginal, the regain sleeve may help the unit attain the added static to overcome the additional friction caused by the imporper ducts.

Bottom line, proper installtion and ductwork is crucial to equipment efficiency and reliability.

Also, duct leakage around the plenum and exposed ducts can cause cool air to overcome any insulation and will cool the metal below dewpoint. Is the plenum insulated and sealed?
    sorry, not sure what is a regain sleeve or the location of Big orange sticker, but I think all will become clear once I cut open de duct right above the unit to redo at proper size, or correct me please
    also what to you mean by: flanges folded up prior to instalation? accord with blue print is 3/4 of an inch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast