Need Advice-Buying New Gas Furnace

I am replacing my old fuel oil furnace with a new 95% gas furnace. I live in South Dakota so the furnace needs to be good quality because my house is 3200 square feet total main and basement so it will run alot.

I need advice on which brand is best for quality and reliability. I know I need a quality company to install it which there are several around me.

I have been looking at Maytag ( because of good warranty ), Lennox and Coleman 80 - 90,000 btu

I am leaning towards a two stage variable speed or modulating type but worried the modulating type might be spendy to repair when warranty runs out.

Can anyone help me out please.

Thanks

Anyone have any input?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stewart20 View Post
    Anyone have any input?

Thanks

It's all about the install. Pick the contractor, not the brand.

That being said, modulating technology is the wave of the future, no doubt about it.

Instead of asking a question like Carrier, Lennox, Trane.

Ask, references, heat loss calcs, certifications.

So the brands are pretty much all equal?

I agree with seatonheating, you can buy top of the line and if the install is not right you have a high price piece of s?,). Choose your installer wisely. You should be able to get 10yrs parts warranty and even labor on most brands and models.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart20 View Post
    So the brands are pretty much all equal?

With a proper installation and maintenance....yes, as far as reliability.

That being said, different manufacturers have different features. Since you are looking at modulating technology, I would pick between Rheem and York/Coleman. True modulating furnaces.

All I can say is be prepared for a journey. I started my new furnace install journey back in June, here it is August and still haven't found the right contractor. I've even had one system completely installed, ready for my signoff, and I had them yank out all of their work, ducts and all.

I dont know how one is expected to get this stuff installed correctly in the middle of winter. Hard enough finding one when its hot outside.

If you can get some recommendations from friends thats a good place to start. Other than that, its going to be a lot of work on your part, even after you've decided on the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by b26440510 View Post
    All I can say is be prepared for a journey. I started my new furnace install journey back in June, here it is August and still haven't found the right contractor. I've even had one system completely installed, ready for my signoff, and I had them yank out all of their work, ducts and all.

I dont know how one is expected to get this stuff installed correctly in the middle of winter. Hard enough finding one when its hot outside.

If you can get some recommendations from friends thats a good place to start. Other than that, its going to be a lot of work on your part, even after you've decided on the equipment.

You have been through hell haven't ya? . Got that plane ticket purchased yet?? ha ha ha

Just sent ya an email...important one.

I see Maytag has a 12 year warrany, anyone heard any good or bad things about their furnaces? I see they have been making furnaces about 15 years but only one contractor in my area carries them, wondering how they have been holding up. Everything else they make seems to be good quality.

Most people around this area have Lennox, Rheem, Carrier or Coleman. I have done my research on contractors in my area and have found the best two which have both been in the buisness about 40 years. I have had a few estimates done already, I'm just confused on which brand to buy.

Pretty much all units are the same quality. What I'd look for is a unit that parts are easily purchased. You may want to see what some of the wholesalers are selling in your area. But more important is the quality of installation. Find a good contractor and get some references from them that you can call. Any good contractor will be more than happy to supply a few names...
    "...refresh my memory. When did I start caring about this stuff...?"