Last question but an interesting one

I have a two units in my 3600 SF house, one w/ 4 tons for 2400sf and the new one about to be installed for 2.5 tons covering the bedroom section. In hindsight, the Trane XR12 has proven inadequate for the 2400 sf section with west view. It should have a 5 ton but too late.

The suggestion was, while we are putting in the 2.5 ton for the bedroom section, covering 1150 sf, let's run a new supply to the under served area of the house that the 4 ton unit serves. The thought is, during the very hottest days, the extra air that is being produced by 2.5 ton unit can be pumped into the room where the temps tend to creep during the summer. It appears the 2.5 ton unit can comfortably support the extra supply, so why not send the air to a place where you need it.

This sounds odd in a way, but on the other hand, it may prove to be a terrific solution. Given the uniqueness, I wanted your opinion. I asked what happens if the extra air flow is needed for the back of the house and he said worse case, you can close the vent down or off. Sounds interesting but pls weigh in.

OK you have me scraching my head.
    You have a 2400 sq ft home.You are going to cool 1150 sq ft with a 2.5 ton unit and you want to know if the old 4 ton unit will cool the remaining 1250 sq ft.???
    I would think that unless that 1250 is a ton of glass,you should be able to hang meat in there.
    Perhaps you left something out!!!
    If the bedrooms get warm then you can claoe the bedroom doors unless you have a single central return.

sorry, it was slightly confusing unless you knew i had 3600 sf. I tried to clarify the point

Where do you live that 4-Ton won't cool 2400-sf?
    Perhaps there is unnecessary heat-gain in the 2400-sf area.(?)

I can't help but believe the 4-Ton system is NOT functioning up to par!

Florida and it is very hot, I have a black roof and west view w/ lots of windows. The unit is simply too small. I 've been down the path of exploring the unit to make sure it is working perfectly, it's simply not big enough and i've accepted that but would be interested in the concept related to feeding an extra supply to the area. I wouldn't run the back unit to feed the main living area but when it cycled during the hottest part of the day, I'd be getting free air in the main area.

any reason I should not allow the contractor to do this?

Under partial load conditions without zone control, you might find it more difficult to maintain comfort in the 'dump' zone. I'd recommend either a non-voting zone damper be installed on that extra supply or better yet, get a small mini-split that will give complete control over the currently under served area.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!