+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vacuum sealed freezer

Post Likes

vacuum sealed freezer

My deep freeze creates a vacuum holding the lid shut...it seems to do it if you go back 10 min after opening it up.
    But if you wait a day u can open it up easily. Its a smaller model 3' X 3' X 3'. Was wondering if the small size was the reason...if it was a large one would the larger door and gasket be easier to break the seal on the gasket. Its always done this...just curious why. All other deep freezes i have opened i did not notice this.

Post Likes
    My home fridge has some sort of mechanism *I think* that does the same thing but it is only 20 seconds or so. Something was mentioned in the manual I mostly ignored.

I guess if you have a perfect seal, it might just contract the warm air and create a vac.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes

Confused

I have seen this happen because of the magnetic strips in the door seals. If opened back up soon, the seals are still at room temp making them more pliable and creating a better seal making it harder to open. After long periods, the seals cool down, becoming harder on the inside and are easily broke free. These are just observations and/or guesses, much like a lot of things.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    I guess if you have a perfect seal, it might just contract the warm air and create a vac.
    Yes, that... Usually there is a drain at the bottom of the freezer, or an air check valve in the back that will break the vacuum after several seconds. If it gets clogged or freezes over you have to wait for the gasket to leak enough to break the vacuum.

Post Likes
    thanks guys..

Post Likes

vacuum

Commercial reach-in cabinets do the same thing. Some don't have vacuum breakers. When they are on casters you can pull them around by the door handle until the pressure equalizes (about 30 secs.). Have seen door handles broken due to this. You can depress the gasket (break the seal ) with your finger and open them easily.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in