Quotes/proposals -- is this common?

So I get a another quote, and this is all of the specifics, unedited:

70,000 BTU RGJF 95% Communicating Furance[sic]
    Hard Duct System; 90+ Concentric Vent
    Communicating Thermostat
    Tie In Existinig[sic] Electrical And Gas Line Within 5 Feet Of Installation Of Furnace
    Start Up And Check Operation Of System

Obviously there isnt enough detail in here that I would accept it, but is it common for this "Tie In Existinig[sic] Electrical And Gas Line Within 5 Feet Of Installation Of Furnace" statement?

Currently, I have no ducts and furnace, they were ripped out, so this is basically a new system install.

Quote Originally Posted by b26440510 View Post

Communicating Thermostat
    Tie In Existinig[sic] Electrical And Gas Line Within 5 Feet Of Installation Of Furnace

Obviously there isnt enough detail in here that I would accept it, but is it common for this "Tie In Existinig[sic] Electrical And Gas Line Within 5 Feet Of Installation Of Furnace" statement?

Currently, I have no ducts and furnace, they were ripped out, so this is basically a new system install.

B26, check your email.....I attached to you what one of my proposals looks like....detail is everything.

thx. I know the details aren't there and I'd have to get them in there before accepting, but its that "5 feet" clause that raises my eyebrows. It just really sticks out like a sore thumb to me so I was wondering if its a common industry practice.

Basically they'll be placing the furnace where they feel its best (since the old one is gone) taking into account ducting and intake/exhaust runs, and I think running utilities to their placement would be included. Just feels like another red flag.

Unless they have a radical plan, the gas main would run directly above the furnace, and I can reroute the electrical (since I ran it last month for the last furnace install). I don't think the clause would "kick in" -- its just one of those things that stuck in my craw.

thx. I know the details aren't there and I'd have to get them in there before accepting, but its that "5 feet" clause that raises my eyebrows. It just really sticks out like a sore thumb to me so I was wondering if its a common industry practice.

Basically they'll be placing the furnace where they feel its best (since the old one is gone) taking into account ducting and intake/exhaust runs, and I think running utilities to their placement would be included. Just feels like another red flag.

Unless they have a radical plan, the gas main would run directly above the furnace, and I can reroute the electrical (since I ran it last month for the last furnace install). I don't think the clause would "kick in" -- its just one of those things that stuck in my craw.

I think you are overthinking that part of it. Newer stuff installed along with newer plenums, done properly, will take a certain amount of space. They are more than likely just covering themselves as they won't know the exact location until they get everything on-site and placed.

If you want it in an exact location, specify that to them. Any smart contractor will try and make things work within your guidelines as we want to make you happy. The main thing is that the confines of placement don't affect proper design.

Communicating Thermostat

I "think" what they mean is that you will (or someone) install the gas/elec.

to within 5' of the furnace and they will go from there.

Electrical And Gas Line Within 5 Feet Of Installation Of Furnace" statement?

A statement like that I would say is not common industry practice. If we need to run a gas line or electrical, we just build that into our price. Maybe they are not set up to cut and thread gas pipe. If they only had to run 5 feet they could get away with using pre-cut nipples. It could be the same thing about running the electrical. If they only have to run 5 feet, they can use a cord and cap. If they have to go further 1) they may not be licensed to run electrical, and 2) they may not want to bothered to sub out the electrical.