Confused Emergency Pan Filling up with water

Just had a Trane unit installed with air handler installed horizontally in the attic. There's no or VERY little condensed water flowing out of the unit. The foiled insulation on the inside bottom of the unit in soaked and water is starting to drip onto the over flow pan. I had the tech come out THREE times and the problem still persists. He check the drain for cloggs and proper pitch and it was ok. Does the handler have to be level (which it currently is)? I'm at my wits end!!! Does anyone have any Ideas???

Thanx

Is your system a heat pump?
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky747 View Post
    Just had a Trane unit installed with air handler installed horizontally in the attic. There's no or VERY little condensed water flowing out of the unit. The foiled insulation on the inside bottom of the unit in soaked and water is starting to drip onto the over flow pan. I had the tech come out THREE times and the problem still persists. He check the drain for cloggs and proper pitch and it was ok. Does the handler have to be level (which it currently is)? I'm at my wits end!!! Does anyone have any Ideas???

Thanx
    Idea #1 stop payment on your check

Idea #2, read the thread below.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=376342

Could be they did not properly trap the drain line.
    If they left the installation manual that comes with the air handler you may be able to compare the recomended trap assembly with the way they have plumbed it.
    It happens more often than you would think.
    Or post up a picture of the drain connected to your coil and overall including airhandler.

If it is a heat pump -

Was the coil converted for horizontal use. Depending on which way the unit is installed the coil has to be converted for it to drain correctly.

Is there a proper sized trap installed?

Is the drain line hooked up to the correct outlet on the coil? There are several, one for the primary drain and one for the overflow drain.

If it is a variable speed motor - Is the air flow set correctly? You may have a three ton system and the blower is set for five tons. If a unit is set up with to much air flow it will pull the condensate right off the coil.

Is the unit charged correctly? Improperly charged unit can cause the coil to freeze and the water will drip off the coil at the wrong spot.

More info about your system would be helpful, so would some pictures.

I agree that the condensate drain is a likely source of your overflow problem. *Most* a/c units must have a (properly sized) trap installed on the condensate line to prevent air from being drawn up the drain line and into the unit. If the unit is not properly trapped water will not leave through the drain as long as the unit is running. The water will overflow the drain pan and end up in the bottom of the unit which will spill into your emergency pan. If you see a lot of water draining from your condensate drain line as soon as your blower turns off, you can be sure you have a problem with the trap.

Smile Water Leak Solved

Thanx for the info guys.

You're right it was a p trap/drain line problem. After THREE service calls they sent a supervising tech (they originally sent an installer not a service tech). I tried to tell the first tech that No water at ALL was draining out. He ignored my concern. The supervisior look at what the first tech had done and said is was not properly installed. He uninstalled and reinstalled the drain line correctly this time. The water is really draining out quickly.
    Now I'm trying to remove water from the bottom of the inside unit. The foiled fiberglass in soaked. I removed the two panels to air out the handler. I should be happy this is my only problem.

Thanx again Guys for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky747 View Post
    Now I'm trying to remove water from the bottom of the inside unit. The foiled fiberglass in soaked. I removed the two panels to air out the handler.
    My question would be -- why are you doing the cleanup and not them?

Quote Originally Posted by b26440510 View Post
    My question would be -- why are you doing the cleanup and not them?
    This would be my questiona as well.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    This would be my question as well.
    +1

Sparky, you wrote: The foiled fiberglass in soaked. I removed the two panels to air out the handler. I should be happy this is my only problem.

Would that it was true, Please be aware that the insulation industry says that insulation that gets wet like yours did, when added to the presence of "organic material: (aka DIRT) has the potential for mold and should be replaced.

Might be a good idea to formally put the installer ON NOTICE !!!!!!!! So if this does develop into a problem you won't have any amnesia about the history of the problem
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Great Point. As per your suggestion I spoke with the company and they replaced the insulation.

Thanx again!!!