+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air Cooled McQuay Scroll Discharge Line Failure

Post Likes

Air Cooled McQuay Scroll Discharge Line Failure

I have had multiple discharge line crack failures on both circuits on this machine since installation approximately one year ago. It is a 90(?) ton machine serving several airhandlers in a HVAC situation. We have verified charge, repaired cracks, checked all bracing and mounts but the cracks keep happening. The crack has occurred at a tee every time.
    My question is to whether any service bulletins exist that address this problem.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by trozum View Post
    I have had multiple discharge line crack failures on both circuits on this machine since installation approximately one year ago. It is a 90(?) ton machine serving several airhandlers in a HVAC situation. We have verified charge, repaired cracks, checked all bracing and mounts but the cracks keep happening. The crack has occurred at a tee every time.
    My question is to whether any service bulletins exist that address this problem.
    Install the bolt on weights to discharge line, like the new Trane CGAM's use. LOL! But it would probably really work.

Post Likes
    There are two things that I know of that cause "cracks" in a discharge line. Overheated and/or overstressed pipe/fittings, and not enough mass in the piping to counteract the pulsation of the discharge gas.

Weights might not be a bad idea.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Add vibration eliminators onto the discharge line to condenser barrel or if its air cooled,be sure to add stabilizing hanger to the outlet side of eliminator. We had this happen to several units in so.florida.

Post Likes

Compressor discharge line failures

trozum- How are the compressors circuits mounted ? If they are all mounted on a flat plate that all four feet attach to, make sure the shipping bolts are removed. If they are mounted on 2 parallel base plates leave the shipping bolts in or re-install bolts in those openings, 4 bolts per compressor. The vibration of a running compressor to an idle compressor is what is causing your cracked discharge line.=GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by trozum View Post
    Ive had that issue with a couple of 20 ton ICMs with tandem scrolls,

The compressor mounting hardware starts to back out and it causes excess vibration and cracks the discharge line.....at the T.

Vibration is the primary cause of leaks on a discharge line on any machine.

I had to add locktight because even with lock washers they would back out.

Haven't had any issues since and that was 3 years ago.

Post Likes
    most of the cracks I have found was caused by a compressor that had excessive vibration. I do not repair the tee I replace it.

Post Likes
    secure discharge line to the lifting bracket on top of compressor with some kind of clamp.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in