Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is r22 reclaim a myth?

Greetings, I am a first time poster and am hoping to to get some opinions from those in the know. I would love to hear any thoughts on whether the current reclaim price of r22 justifies the effort to go through the reclaim process. I have done some research and found that nationally, less than 10% of dirty r22 gets reclaimed, despite significant prices increases since 2007. At the current retail price of xx/lb it just doesn't seem to get anyone excited. At what reclaim price to you, per pound, makes it worth your effort to turn in your tanks for the money (not just for the green good) ?

Many thanks to anyone kind enough to respond....
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 08-10-2010 at 07:03 PM.

first, i dont see that retail price anywhere. usually three to four times that or more. second, it isnt about what we want or like, but rather its the law. i am sure it doesnt excite my guys to carry reclaim cylinders, recovery machine, extension cord etc to a rooftop to do the job, but it is the law. We send back everything we pull out of a system. I personally dont like paying the labor, buying the machines, paying for "cleanup fees" etc, but again, its the law of the land. pass it on to end users.

Please read the rules. No prices allowed in the General Discussion Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    first, i dont see that retail price anywhere. usually three to four times that or more. second, it isnt about what we want or like, but rather its the law. i am sure it doesnt excite my guys to carry reclaim cylinders, recovery machine, extension cord etc to a rooftop to do the job, but it is the law. We send back everything we pull out of a system. I personally dont like paying the labor, buying the machines, paying for "cleanup fees" etc, but again, its the law of the land. pass it on to end users.
    If the EPA is right that less than 10% gets turned in, then most don't follow your practice.

Either way, it seems that your motivation is compliance rather than economics. My read is that the EPA understands this. Given that they have no way of tracking leaked r22, they want to create a government imposed shortage and drive up the price of r22 to make it profitable for contractors and servicers to reclaim. In the 90's, the EPA did the same with r12 and it went from xx/lb to xx/lb. The same phase-out has started with r22 but recycler's don't appear to be paying enough yet. If you could get xx/lb for dirty r22 do you start reclaiming for the money? If no, where does the price need to be?

I'm not in the business in any way, just researching and considering an investment in a recycler.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 08-10-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midhvac View Post
    Please read the rules. No prices allowed in the General Discussion Forum.
    OK, Understood.

It's the law. Can't just vent it though most of it is. Guess it depends upon whether you want to do it legal or not. Instead of paying to send it in, we're getting a few peanuts for our 22 now. But remember, it doesn't cost us, it cost the end customer.

Confused

Wow... I wish i was getting paid to take back my reclaim freon, it costs me to return it to the wholesaler. Anyone in Ont. getting paid for thier reclaim?

me too!! i am paying $$ to return r22, i have been seeing the ads in the tech magazines about $$ for your reclaimed r22, but nowhere that i know of in central ohio is even close to breaking even.

Quote Originally Posted by onyx33 View Post
    Greetings, I am a first time poster and am hoping to to get some opinions from those in the know. I would love to hear any thoughts on whether the current reclaim price of r22 justifies the effort to go through the reclaim process. I have done some research and found that nationally, less than 10% of dirty r22 gets reclaimed, despite significant prices increases since 2007. At the current retail price of xx/lb it just doesn't seem to get anyone excited. At what reclaim price to you, per pound, makes it worth your effort to turn in your tanks for the money (not just for the green good) ?

Many thanks to anyone kind enough to respond....
    How many thousands of pounds do you have for sale at xx a pound. I will take it all. :>)
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Pricing removed from all posts, please read the rules

I wish it were a myth.
    I spends countless thousands of dollars every year since I've been in biz to properly handle ALL the refrigerants I use. One slip up and into our "Trash can" it goes where I spend even more to handle it. That and competing against 75% of my competitors who don't have to pay those expenses because they don't follow the rules therefore have all that extra change in their pockets.
    Are you a troll or is this an honest question?

I'm not sure if I am understanding this thread. Alot of recycling is done to re-use. Alot of leaking goes on....some people just vent like the Chinese do. This is illegal in the US. Anyone with an EPA certification knows this and is responsible for the process. Most companies(like the one I work for) put the charge of reclaiming a refrigerant in the cost of the work....so why the complaints of the cost?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast