Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DUI Checkpoints

Oakland, Calif. - The Oakland Police Department has halted its use of D-U-I checkpoints after the city's Hispanic leaders complained that the roadblocks were ensnaring too many illegal immigrants.

D-U-I checkpoints allow police officers to demand drivers' licenses and proof of insurance. City leaders agree the roadblocks are an effective way to get drunken drivers off the streets.

But Hispanic community leaders and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente complained that the checkpoints were making life miserable for illegal immigrants who aren't licensed to drive but otherwise obey the law.

Police Chief Richard Word has ordered a month-long moratorium on the checkpoints while the department drafts new guidelines.

But City Councilmember Larry Reid says stopping D-U-I checkpoints threatens public safety.

Lord knows we can't offend non-citizens!....this is the kind of stupidity that arises when we put the limp-cheeses in charge.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

I'de like to know what would happen if an American went to Mexico and did crap like that.

Oakland Mayor Orders
    Return Of DUI Stops
    By Heather MacDonald
    Staff Writer
    9-29-4

OAKLAND - Mayor Jerry Brown on Monday ordered the on-again, off- again vehicle checkpoints back on track, calling the stoppage "a dumb idea."

Oakland police officers will restart the roadblocks next week, despite complaints from the Latino community and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente (Glenview-Fruitvale). The last checkpoint happened more than a month ago.

"The so-called moratorium is hereby terminated," Brown said Monday. "The whole thing was a dumb idea."

According to law enforcement officials, the checkpoints are an effective way to get drunken and unlicensed drivers off Oakland's streets.

However, the roadblocks also swept up dozens of illegal immigrants without licenses or insurance, leaving many without transportation to get to work or the grocery store and causing hundreds of dollars in fines and fees.

"I wanted to make sure we were doing the checkpoints up in the hills and down in the flatlands," De La Fuente said. "I wanted to make sure it was equitable."

Brown said he ordered a review of the whole issue, and directed police Chief Richard L. Word to put together a full report.

"You don't make policy in the bowels of the police department," Brown said.

Word said the department stopped doing the checkpoints while new rules were developed in conjunction with the community and De La Fuente.

"I wouldn't call it a moratorium," Word said. "I would call it a rethinking."

Councilmember Larry Reid (Elmhurst-East Oakland) praised the decision to resume the checkpoints. Last week, Reid said the police department's failure to run the checkpoints was a threat to public safety.

"I want the law enforced across the board," Reid said. "If you have no license, no insurance, and you get stopped, your car will be towed."

Under the new guidelines, Oakland police will notify the public of the general area of the checkpoint, and set it up after the evening rush-hour commute. In addition, the roadblocks will be rotated throughout the city, Word said.

"To do more than that would defeat the purpose of the checkpoints," Word said. "But we also need to be sensitive to the community."

Word credited the checkpoints, funded with state grant money, for helping to reduce the number of fatal accidents in Oakland, down 22 percent this year from 2003. Five of the last six fatal accidents involved unlicensed drivers, he added.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Its good to know that common sense prevails at times.

Roy

next thing is its affecting the terrorist ability to get around with out a valid drivers lisences and insurance so they can do their job, with what was stated why even have a requirement for a drivers license then just let everybody drive.

they would probably be accused of racial profiling since most of the illegals are from mexico.

This is starting to get the attention of many people here in calif. It seems we have some mexican congress people that seem to be more Mexican then American. They vote and support only on things that relate to our relationship to the stopping of illegal imergration. It has and is killing southern calif. On the news last week they stated we lost another trama center, that makes a total of 11 closed in the last year. They close because of a law that says if someone walks into one of these centers they have to get care money or no money. The illegals have no insurance and even use the trama rooms for their primary care.

This means if you visit LA and God forbid you get into a accendent your chances of good timely care are doughtful.This country is being invaded and this invasion has put Mexican leaders in top positions in this goverment.Not even Bush wants to deal with this mess.It is only a matter of time before you get a tast of what we have had to indure in the name of please don't lable me a racist. political correctness will be the death of this country.

That's really too bad. Something has to be done, that's for sure. It's spreading like a disease. Here in rural Iowa they are taking over as well. I have no problem with them, I actually have a nice hispanic family living accross the street from me. I too just feel that minorities are taking advantage of thier situation and I'm going to leave it at that.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

1. the terroists have no problem getting drivers licences or any other document, remember they went to flight school without a problem. If you have the money, which they do, those things apparently are no object.

2. will it not be interesting when WE are the minority?? Maybe we will want our representitives to only look out for us too??
    lol!!
    there but for the grace of god, go all of us

Originally posted by royc
    Oakland, Calif. - City Council President complained that the checkpoints were making life miserable for illegal immigrants who aren't licensed to drive.

When the public all over this country stops putting idiots like this in office, then and only then will we be able to turn this country back around.

[Edited by madeinusa on 10-11-2004 at 04:41 PM]

Originally posted by caosesvida
    1. the terroists have no problem getting drivers licences or any other document, remember they went to flight school without a problem. If you have the money, which they do, those things apparently are no object.

2. will it not be interesting when WE are the minority?? Maybe we will want our representitives to only look out for us too??
    lol!!
    Pretty soon we Will be the minority, this is supposed to be a fact! Better get your spanglish book out!
    Still can't believe that crap about the checkpoint stuff though...unreal!
    Who's voting these people in?

in one sen sense we are a minority
    there but for the grace of god, go all of us

maybe the council president is an illegal also?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast