Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by evankoehn View Post
    Hey I really feel for you guys. The truck I drive only has working A/C when we drive, and that's bad enough. On Wed. we had 100 degrees and high humidity. Good for business, but, I agree... after working in a mobile home all afternoon with no A/C it's too much too have to leave in an even hotter truck.
    You need to get rid of that crazy Goverment Motors truck. Mine does the same thing when it's sitting. Hot, then cold, damper seem to switch up and down next time hopefully it's a Ford!!!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Wendo View Post
    You need to get rid of that crazy Goverment Motors truck. Mine does the same thing when it's sitting. Hot, then cold, damper seem to switch up and down next time hopefully it's a Ford!!!
    Haha! You hit the nail on the head.... obv. it's a common issue with GM's? Is there a fix? I can hear you already ("Get a FORD, get a ford....etc.")

Quote Originally Posted by evankoehn View Post
    Hey I really feel for you guys. The truck I drive only has working A/C when we drive, and that's bad enough. On Wed. we had 100 degrees and high humidity. Good for business, but, I agree... after working in a mobile home all afternoon with no A/C it's too much too have to leave in an even hotter truck.
    I suspect that the radiator fan clutch needs to be replaced.

A thermal fan clutch changes the speed of the fan based on the temperature of the air coming through the condenser/radiator. When driving, there is more than enough ram air, so the fan ramps down so that it doesn't load down the engine as much - a mechanical fan can take up to 15 hp to run. As the vehicle slows, the air moving through warms up and the fan speeds up to compensate.

A common failure of the clutch is that they won't ramp up in speed. They stay stuck on low speed, and as a result, the ac performance suffers when not moving. It can even get to the point where the engine can overheat. One way to check if it is the clutch is to do the water trick. If you hose down the condenser and the vent air gets nice and cool and stays there, then you need a new fan clutch.

When the clutch is running full speed, you can definitely hear and feel it - especially if the engine is revved slightly.

Michael

55 degrees always
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Quote Originally Posted by midhvac View Post
    Checked my thermometer a foot down from the dashboard where the sun doesn't hit it, and it read 121F. Turned just the blower on at high speed and the one stuck in the vent stabilized at 125F.
    Mine was about 115 degrees on a regular basis. Then I had those plastic rain guards installed over the tops of the windows so that I could leave the windows cracked open a couple inches. I also completely isolated the front from the back. This summer with the 100 degree weather, the cab wasn't bad at all, and the temp pulled down quick being isolated. Quieter too.

Yes, seperating the front cab area makes the a/c work well.
    One year I insulated the roof of the cargo area with ductboard. It made a considerable difference in the temp of the truck after sitting for a while.

41F coming out of the right center vent with the A/C on Max. Recirc and the truck idling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12