Air Flow Simulations

This was in a California report, beginning on page 161 here: http://www.energy.ca.gov/2005publica...0-2005-118.PDF

It looks like this:

It is apparently done with flow animation and analysis software used for a variety of industrial processes and objects (airplanes, race cars, etc.)

Is this software available for analysis in residential air flow?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Notice that the initial discharge is lower temp ( probably the -20 from ambient as usually recited in the tables) heating would be interesting and predictable.
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by genduct View Post
    Notice that the initial discharge is lower temp ( probably the -20 from ambient as usually recited in the tables) heating would be interesting and predictable.
    No doubt interesting, however while predicable to some, a wild guess to me. Looking at the pictures my intuition says the registers don't have enough throw for the rooms they are in.

Are these simulations available for any system at reasonable cost, or just an expensive tool for industrial processes?

Smile OPEN Source

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
    This was in a California report, beginning on page 161 here: http://www.energy.ca.gov/2005publica...0-2005-118.PDF

It is apparently done with flow animation and analysis software used for a variety of industrial processes and objects (airplanes, race cars, etc.)

Is this software available for analysis in residential air flow?
    CFD.

Yes.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    CFD.

Yes.

CFD was the software; someone provides the analysis as a service priced for residential use?

Thumbs up CFD

CFD was the software; someone provides the analysis as a service priced for residential use?
    CFD is not software, it is a code or analysis technique.
    PCs are strong enough now to run these programs.

Although on some PCs it might take 12 hours.

You can teach yourself !?!!

Do you have a PhD?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Which software packages are available? Any with homeowner friendly prices? OpenFoam? Are there examples using this for HVAC airflow in non-isothermal situations?

Hmm Study of throw, etc.

Which software packages are available? Any with homeowner friendly prices? OpenFoam? Are there examples using this for HVAC airflow in non-isothermal situations?
    You will have to report back to us after your studies.
    Titus and MetalAire may assist in the commeircal world.

Your assignment is to find a way to piggy-back that arena into residential applications.

Friendly prices will be borne out of your charitable efforts to accomplish this nearly independently.

I'll check back with you in 2014.
    Designer Dan

You will have to report back to us after your studies.
    Titus and MetalAire may assist in the commeircal world.

Your assignment is to find a way to piggy-back that arena into residential applications.

Friendly prices will be borne out of your charitable efforts to accomplish this nearly independently.

I'll check back with you in 2014.
    2014? I don't have that kind of patience.

Is this done in commercial HVAC? I ran into it from a California study trying to make FAU and duct placement recommendations. It doesn't seem there are any 3D shareware for windows and the other stuff is ubuntu or other linux.

I've read a lot of stuff on Titus' site. Nothing with CFD.

Getting the airflow right under a range of conditions seems important in overall system performance. The alternative would be to live in a windowless cave sealed with ccSPF...something Ted might recommend?

If this software could do accurate modeling, it could make getting a good air distribution much easier to do, especially with the more complicated large rooms with window walls, high ceilings, interior balconies, etc.

When a problem is detected, the model could provide actual parameters to measure to find the flaw in the implementation.

It is a simple art to set diffusers in most residential rooms.
    The trick is to apply the correct set of diffusers to more complex areas with high ceilings.

Technical support at Titus, MetalAire or Price should be able to provide all the guidance needed in air distribution areas. Study their literature, products and diffuser air flow algorithms and then you can have them review your special applicaiton.
    Designer Dan

It is a simple art to set diffusers in most residential rooms.
    The trick is to apply the correct set of diffusers to more complex areas with high ceilings.

Technical support at Titus, MetalAire or Price should be able to provide all the guidance needed in air distribution areas. Study their literature, products and diffuser air flow algorithms and then you can have them review your special applicaiton.
    Unfortunately, many residential homes have many interconnected rooms with high ceilings, large windows, etc. This forum is full of people with precisely those homes who are unable to get the air distribution to work correctly.

It is true that not much thought often goes into it, however it is less clear if that is the correct way to handle it or just accepted practice.

Videos like this make me wonder about the level of analysis that can go into it without that much effort: http://www.mentor.com/products/mecha...8-a5fd092bcad1