Thread: Contractor Help

Contractor Help

Greetings,

I am seeking information on how to deal with a contactor, I am entering into week four of dealing with the contractor and my issues are not resolved yet.

History

June 2006

New home East of Dallas, TX. Two zone system in a two story 2,500 sq ft home. During the first two years the condensor was replaced and the install contactor resealed the air handler to plenum (this contactor didn't think cooling my attic in Texas would affect my utility bill)

July 2009

Fourth of July weekend.
    A circut board in the air handler went out, part was not covered under warrenty as this part got wet. Cost $ for board plus two service calls.

May 2010

Memorial Day Weekend
    Same circut board goes out for the same reason. I don't immediately replace this board (another $$ board). Also discovered that the internal drain pan was cracked. The estimate for labor was roughly $$.

At this point I have way to know what is causing the issue, i contact manufacture who will cover the parts, but I still do not have a resolution, why am I have these water in my system. I did call the original installer who sent a guy out who said the system was installed properly and hooked up the zone motors which had never been hooked up. This resulted in 975.00 utility bo
    I called three contractors to give me estimates on what need to be done, all three estimators left without giving me an estimate and had to come back with a more experienced person to finish the estimate.
    Two of the contactors provided basically the same solution (the third wanted to replace everything). I went with the local contractor. Two guys arrived I took the day off, by 11PM that night they were not done, they came the next day and finished about 9PM. I checked using my hand and had no air flow into my master bedroom. They came back took everything apart because the master bedroom duct was behind everything else they had done.
    They also replaced the bad board and drain pan. However my downstairs was not cooling very well, never getting below 79 at about 4AM, the system never shut off. I went up to the attic to see what they had done a few days later and found my attic nice and cool, the plenum had huge amounts of air leaking around it. I dropped a thermometer in the attic checked it in the morning 60 degrees in my attic. They came out and fixed the leaks but I was still feeling air and it was now only 68 degrees in the attic.
    They came back again and a valve supplying the cooling had frozen and the coil was frozen. So they unfroze that and replaced that. Still cold attic warm house. They came back again and the air damper to the downstairs zone has been stuck in the closed position for apparently two weeks since it was installed. They opened that up and then discovered that the upstairs damper motor was now bad as well.
    So now I sit with two bad dampers on a system that is cooling my upstairs very well and barely cooling my downstairs. I am still running box fans to circulate the air. Not to mention I have not had a confortable nights sleep in a month.
    Now, the contractor has stood by his estimate, charged a few things that were out of the scope of the estimate but has stuck by his word and work. However I am sitting here with poor AC, outrageous utility bills, laid out a chunk of cash to the contractor and have a system that is going to need more work. Is it the contractor’s fault that both motors went out at the same time? The worker said they were poor motors to begin with and should have been replaced, if that is the case why wasn’t that in the estimate? Feeling like I am stuck, and trying to handle things but not sure which way to turn.

Any suggestions, ideas, recommendations?

Thanks
    Last edited by Stamas; 08-18-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Removed pricing

Well you said yourself he's sticking by his quote. I don't see, other than the aggrivation factor, what you can complain about. They're doing the work they contracted to do and apparently there are some failed parts. I'm sure it's frustrating as can be but I honestly don't see where you can point that doesn't say they're trying. Give it some time and when they say 'it's all set', if it isn't, then you've got something to complain about. But right now, I think you'll just have to wait it out. Sorry.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

sounds like your home had a zoned damper system that neither the original or follow on service people really understood. IF the zoned damper system is third party then call the manufacturers rep and ask for a reference to someone who understand the equipment. Same advice but even better if the equipment manufacturer provide the zone dampers as well. Again call for the rep and ask for a referral to someone who understands what you have. Other concerns seem business as usual unless your bills are not in line with the others around your area with same house.
    If you really wanted to save the solution is to find a way to bring the airhandler INTO THE SPACE and OUT OF THE ATTIC. That would be a big deal and Large GC cost.
    You'll know a lot more for the next house you buy or build.
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

July 2009

Fourth of July weekend.
    A circut board in the air handler went out, part was not covered under warrenty as this part got wet. Cost .00 for board plus two service calls.

Yea I right! I bet he pocketed the $ and warrantied the board.

How far east of Dallas?
    Last edited by Stamas; 08-18-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Removed pricing

Out in Forney.

Utility bill just arrived at 750.00 which i guess is an improvement.

Right now i have fans running on the main floor otherwise the upstairs gets cold. Four to five degrees cooler then downstairs as the system never shuts off without the extra fans running.

Quote Originally Posted by EastOfDallas View Post
    Out in Forney.

Utility bill just arrived at 750.00 which i guess is an improvement.

Right now i have fans running on the main floor otherwise the upstairs gets cold. Four to five degrees cooler then downstairs as the system never shuts off without the extra fans running.
    WOW 750 bill on a 2500sqft house!

You need to call someone that knows zone systems.

Find out the maker of the a/c system and call their main number and ask for a reference to a company that knows their stuff. Don't bore them with details just let them know you have had nothing but problems with the zone system since the day you moved in.

It would be money well spent!

Forney is out there. Been their once a long time ago before it started growing. Nothing but horse and cows back then with redneck and their trailers at that time!

Update

.00 to replace the two damper motors,
    .00 to replace the two dampers and circut board.

Two damper motors going on within a month of them redoing the work seems a strange coincidence.

BOHICA time I guess.
    Last edited by Stamas; 08-18-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Removed Pricing

East of Dallas..............Please read the rules, no pricing!

single system on a two story house right???? you need to find a rep for your Zoning set up. your contractor is doin what he can, it sounds like.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by genduct View Post
    sounds like your home had a zoned damper system that neither the original or follow on service people really understood. IF the zoned damper system is third party then call the manufacturers rep and ask for a reference to someone who understand the equipment. Same advice but even better if the equipment manufacturer provide the zone dampers as well. Again call for the rep and ask for a referral to someone who understands what you have.
    What he said.

If it is a third party zoning system the installer they recommend as a dealer probably knows the rest of the issues well.

This is a one step back, two steps forward situation. Before he starts you may want to explain your problem and ask him how he will verify system correct system operation. Since this was the problem in the past with other contractors, he should treat it reasonably.