Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ebonysky View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Between all the convoluted posts that started up after chrystia bumped in to "share" my thread...you are the only one that has made a serious reply with regard to the equipment I mentioned. Your point of view is well taken.

Except that Thurmont used an antiquated "rule of thumb" sizing technique.

Manual J, D, & S is what we should be talking about, nothing else yet.

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    Except that Thurmont used an antiquated "rule of thumb" sizing technique.

Manual J, D, & S is what we should be talking about, nothing else yet.
    Seatonheating, appreciate your reply.

I believe I have found a good contractor near my area now. A real person who I could understand answered the phone on the first ring, and the appointment was made. The owner of the company called 30 minutes before he arrived as I was told they would do, and he was at my door 5 minutes early! First thing, after hello was he put the blue shoe covers on. After some converstion I told him what my price range is and what I wanted and he asked how soon did I want to buy...I told him now! In that case he said, if I had the time would I let him gather the info he needed to run the calc's. He ran the calc's (manual J stuff) got back with me 2 days later. He will cancel the cost of doing the calc's because he feels I'm a serious buyer. (normally he charges a fee because he needs to know this stuff before he bids a job and many times after doing so he may never hear from the propective customer again) He recommends adding a second return air grille in the master bedroom retreat area that shares a wall with the heater closet directly into the current plenum. (This is a split upflow system) His plan to save me money and get me the 16/13 rating needed for the Fed. credit and Calif. Energy Cash is to install Ruud 95% variable-speed 2-stage heater with a standard Ruud 14 SEER (16.5 capable) condensor unit. Because this AC unit is standard, he will throw in a compressor sound blanket but say's it's only good for 1 or 2db) I asked for whole house air filtration system and one UV light will be part of the package as well as all code items, correct sized lineset, duct seal and duct cleaning. He says there is a 100% chance the ducts will fail the Ca. title 24 test before sealing..."always do" he said. Good for 200 rebate if it does.

Subtract 200 energy rebate from PG & E for the duct seal, 600 from Ruud, 1,500 from Uncle Sam, 1,000 from C.E.C. and 250 off the air filtration unit and this is looking like 1,334 under my beginning price range. Reason for Ruud equip. is he can buy it for less than say Rheem, or American Standard. Swears it's as good as Rheem because they make it and has the same compressor. "Most bang for the buck without getting into junk" I'm told.

I can't find anything on the Internet to the contrary.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123