+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your comments on this HVAC system

Post Likes

your comments on this HVAC system

I'm not a DIY, just want comments from pros on this system as replacement for 30yr old Carrier unit. How much should it cost (approx) installed with duct testing? It's a hall closet split-system, upflow with return air right below closet. Plenty of attic room for installers, house in clean tight condition. Old unit still working. Is this equipment a good matched system for this size home and are there any manufactuer promotion/rebates currently? Any help would be appreciated.

American Standard Furance Freedom 80 w/Comfort-R, Variable speed, with Accuclean option Model AUD2B080AFV32A

American Standard Allegiance 15, Model 4A7A504ZE

Matching coil assembly in 48,000 range

5" Perfect Fit filter cabinet.

Details: I'm located in San Francisco North Bay Area, 30 year old 1650 sq.ft. single story home, insulated to R11, new average size double pane Simonton windows and exterior doors/sliders. 8 registers total, tall ceilings in half the house.
    Last edited by ebonysky; 08-09-2010 at 12:00 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ebonysky View Post
    How much should it cost (approx) installed
    No prices given on this site...read the rules please. Even if prices were given, there is no way to give an accurate quote, not even approx...too many factors. The price is what you are willing to pay after you get quotes, compare contractors, do some research, check references etc. If you have questions on what to look for in a good contractor, or equipment matches etc ask away.

Post Likes
    $1,267.45
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    $1,267.45

Tinner, does that include tax?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    Tinner, does that include tax?
    I thinks that's his cost to fly out there to give the actual quote, after seeing the real thing......

Post Likes
    I understand cost is always a issue, but Imho you need a good, company to stand behind that piece of paper we call a bid =x

I defo would not go on price point alone

Post Likes

My Bad

Quote Originally Posted by hidalgo1301 View Post
    No prices given on this site...read the rules please. Even if prices were given, there is no way to give an accurate quote, not even approx...too many factors. The price is what you are willing to pay after you get quotes, compare contractors, do some research, check references etc. If you have questions on what to look for in a good contractor, or equipment matches etc ask away.
    OK, I stand corrected here...no prices given. I was trying to get an idea of what this equipment should cost. I know no one can give me an actual install cost without seeing the job.

Then tell me if this equipment configuation sounds right for my size home. I have been doing research and that is how I found this Forum. From that research this looks like a good/balanced system. I asked for the extra air filtration which this furnace model features as an option and it's built-in. Carrier contractor said I didn't have room in my closet for their air purifier.

Post Likes

carrier infinity ANA 1 or orion?

i need a 4 ton which i will agree with as i have had several people say so. in addition, i live in a split which apparently it seems to be very difficult to put in the ducts (although i don't know why- all the walls are open) my bids have really surprised me as the most expensive was 2 and a half times what i thought it would originally cost. it's a little hard to wrap your mind around a number that you could buy a not so shabby car for. actually i'm calling that one a "save your face bid" in which he shows up so you can't say he didn't but really doesn't want to do the job so he gives you this outrageous price so that you'll not consider him.

the question is now, the carrier infinity which i read good things about, in a 16.8 seer and 13 eer or one model up with 17.3 seer and 13.4 eer - which doesn't seem like much or

the orion system which has some kind of skinny ducts?

i don't know why everyone says it's such a hard house. one guy went on and on about how hot it was as if i waited all year long for a super hot summer and on the hottest day i said "ok. today!" i think he priced it due to the heat!

the last 4 bids i've had are all going the wrong way- up. i have no tax credits left so there's nothing there. i might get some rebates but that's about it.

i believe in buying the best up front so even if it costs a little more but i get better it's ok.

any thoughts? chrystia

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrystia View Post
    i need a 4 ton which i will agree with as i have had several people say so. in addition, i live in a split which apparently it seems to be very difficult to put in the ducts (although i don't know why- all the walls are open) my bids have really surprised me as the most expensive was 2 and a half times what i thought it would originally cost. it's a little hard to wrap your mind around a number that you could buy a not so shabby car for. actually i'm calling that one a "save your face bid" in which he shows up so you can't say he didn't but really doesn't want to do the job so he gives you this outrageous price so that you'll not consider him.

the question is now, the carrier infinity which i read good things about, in a 16.8 seer and 13 eer or one model up with 17.3 seer and 13.4 eer - which doesn't seem like much or

the orion system which has some kind of skinny duct.

i don't know why everyone says it's such a hard house. one guy went on and on about how hot it was as if i waited all year long for a super hot summer and on the hottest day i said "ok. today!" i think he priced it due to the heat!

the last 4 bids i've had are all going the wrong way- up. i have no tax credits left so there's nothing there. i might get some rebates but that's about it.

i believe in buying the best up front so even if it costs a little more but i get better it's ok.

any thoughts? chrystia
    Chrystia.....you are highjacking my thread! Please start your own thread to get your questions answered!

Post Likes
    hijacking? it's called sharing!

Post Likes
    chrystia, **** the hater, go with the lowest bid in your area. seems like you have looked around and have done your homework. call around your area and find the guy that will do it for the lowest price, but make sure you get a warranty. . pay no attention to these people that think your not worth being on "their" thread

Post Likes
    chtystia and lowcash both suck at the internet. start your own thread...don't hijack somebody else's.

go with the low bid....only if you're an idiot.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    chtystia and lowcash both suck at the internet. start your own thread...don't hijack somebody else's.

go with the low bid....only if you're an idiot.
    uummmm.. how bout, find a big one to suck on? seems like a good idea for a hater that wants to rip on someone that only want to help, and someone that is only looking for help. i say go with the "low bid", if there is a warranty or gaurantee involved, on paper, read and research loser. BTW, i never acted as this thread is my own, but if someone is looking for help, then who are you to act like you are better than her?? you are nothing. at the most you are "as good as", though i doubt even that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCashACR View Post
    uummmm.. how bout, find a big one to suck on? seems like a good idea for a hater that wants to rip on someone that only want to help, and someone that is only looking for help. i say go with the "low bid", if there is a warranty or gaurantee involved, on paper, read and research loser
    i'm sorry ..apparently you are new to the internet. it is extremely rude to interrupt somebody else's thread with your own questions. kind of like interupting somebody else's conversation. don't worry you suck at the computer now but maybe in time..you can do better.

low bid? sorry you're are an idiot. do you do the same when looking for a medical procedure? low bid contractor's don't last very long..then you can wipe your a$$ with their guarantee.

with a name like lowcash...maybe you give financial advice too.

fwiw....i typed this very slowly for you..hope it helped.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    o. ha. he. you are very funny, while informative, and at the same time helpful. this will be my last post on your "so very important personal thread". also i will not look again to read your stuck up childish posts after this one. i personally had no question of my own, but my main point was that you should not have been so rude to the lady that has obviously just started this form and was looking for advice. you so quickly ridicule mine but have no confidence to give her your own. therefore you are useless, and are a sorry individual. goodbye

Post Likes
    this isn't my thread either...you really do suck at the internet.

who turned on the computer for you?

low bid...laughable.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ebonysky View Post
    OK, I stand corrected here...no prices given. I was trying to get an idea of what this equipment should cost. I know no one can give me an actual install cost without seeing the job.

Then tell me if this equipment configuation sounds right for my size home. I have been doing research and that is how I found this Forum. From that research this looks like a good/balanced system. I asked for the extra air filtration which this furnace model features as an option and it's built-in. Carrier contractor said I didn't have room in my closet for their air purifier.
    you could move the purifier, but it would cost you more in duct work... and maybe efficiency

Post Likes
    With out knowing the other particulars about your house, using the Sq. ft method using 600 it comes out to be 2.75 tons of cooling needed to cool the house. you mentioned a 48,000 btu A/C I'd say it is over kill unless you do it right by having a contractor come and run a manual J on your house. That way you will know what is needed and you won't have to pay and suffer with oversized equipment. The 80,000 btu furnace is most likely too big also. If your gonna push 48,000 btu's (1600 cfm) through 8 registers I hope that they are some big ass registers and that you have a whole lot of returns. Better get some ear muffs !
    Last edited by Thurmont HVAC; 08-10-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: I'm stupid

Post Likes

what about duct size?

one guy came over and i'm sure he knew his stuff- he wanted to put in some kind of super skinny ducts. now i don't understand why i would need this with the walls open and the usual stud work all around.

how big is a duct in the wall anyway? and how big is a skinny duct and what's the difference? the price difference on my end is about 3K but i dont' understand why that even is necessary?

does anyone know why it's necessary? is it?

meanwhile, i am leaning strongly on the carrier infinity as they guy that knows his stuff actually has that one in his house- so it must be good! it was also suggested by my most reasonable bid- also a man that i believe knows his stuff.

while there's always more than one way to accomplish a goal is there a better way in this case or just a different way?

thanks, chrystia

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrystia View Post
    how big is a duct in the wall anyway? and how big is a skinny duct and what's the difference? the price difference on my end is about 3K but i dont' understand why that even is necessary?

does anyone know why it's necessary? is it?
    A duct in the wall is 8", a skinny duct is 2", so the difference is 12", give or take a few inches. The price differnece on your end is 3K because skinny duct costs more to install than fat duct. Dont ask me why, thats just the way skinny and fat duct are.

I know why its necessary? Yes, it is very necessary. Skinny and fat ducts are the answer, what was the question again?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in