Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    287

    XR15 Trane Heat Pump Compressor???

    I have a Trane XR 15 Heat Pump Compressor that is giving problems. It is reading like there is open whinding on the compressor. I took the Insultaion blanket off of it and let it cool down. When i turned back on compressor was working. I am wondering if i am going to need to put a hard start kit on it in the future. Any ideas on this one??

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Ocean Pines, MD
    Posts
    6,984
    Probably an easy fix for this-call it in to your service co.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    DFW -> Texas
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by adamwhatley View Post
    I have a Trane XR 15 Heat Pump Compressor that is giving problems. It is reading like there is open whinding on the compressor. I took the Insultaion blanket off of it and let it cool down. When i turned back on compressor was working. I am wondering if i am going to need to put a hard start kit on it in the future. Any ideas on this one??
    Why did the compressor over heat? If you don't solve that problem a new compressor will do the same thing.

    XR15 hooked up to an appropriate inside unit would have a TXV. So the Trane should have a hard start kit. Get a good one not some cheap crap 2 wire. Trane parts can you get you the right one. Im really surprised the XR15 did not have a HSK.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Why did the compressor over heat? If you don't solve that problem a new compressor will do the same thing.

    XR15 hooked up to an appropriate inside unit would have a TXV. So the Trane should have a hard start kit. Get a good one not some cheap crap 2 wire. Trane parts can you get you the right one. Im really surprised the XR15 did not have a HSK.
    It has a scroll compressor...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Litchfield,Il
    Posts
    565
    Sounds like your overload. make sure you are checking between the right terminals .
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    34,086
    Little ones are still recips.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,504
    Did you check your superheat? What kind of pressures and temps are you running?
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    DFW -> Texas
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    It has a scroll compressor...
    SO! LOL

    I know scrolls are not suppose to need HSK but reality says otherwise.

    I think I have seen some factory scroll units with HSK on them.

    I put down a standing order that all units we install that are connected to a TXV coil must have a HSK. It has saved me from many go backs.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    SO! LOL

    I know scrolls are not suppose to need HSK but reality says otherwise.

    I think I have seen some factory scroll units with HSK on them.

    I put down a standing order that all units we install that are connected to a TXV coil must have a HSK. It has saved me from many go backs.
    Yeah, Trane has been sticking factory installed HSK's in their heat pumps with scrolls for a few years now.
    I'm just not sure they are doing so with the XR15 model. Its a pretty basic unit with, at least in my area, some pretty cut throat pricing from Trane. We pay less for them than we would for a Goodman or Nordyne unit with similar ratings.
    I haven't put in any XR15 heat pumps yet, but the straight AC units we have put in are coming with no HSK.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    DFW -> Texas
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Yeah, Trane has been sticking factory installed HSK's in their heat pumps with scrolls for a few years now.
    I'm just not sure they are doing so with the XR15 model. Its a pretty basic unit with, at least in my area, some pretty cut throat pricing from Trane. We pay less for them than we would for a Goodman or Nordyne unit with similar ratings.
    I haven't put in any XR15 heat pumps yet, but the straight AC units we have put in are coming with no HSK.

    I put in a 3 ton XR13 last year with a HSK in it. Straight cool.

    I can't wait till Trane lets us have those TTM300's. They actually meet the Goodman price when goodman does those sells on them. Seems like many of the manufacturers are starting to make lines that compete with Goodman.

    If I could get Trane to do one thing it would be bring back those old true variable speed systems. It would kill the competition. No one could touch it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event