Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That stuff can't be used right - no vacuum pump, nitrogen included.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by LowCashACR View Post
    r22 is nowhere near propane??? huh? this thread doesnt even make sense, you should have known better than to do business with this person...
    Once sealed in the system, propane is more or less a drop-in substitute for R-22. Refrigeration grade hydrocarbon blend, like R-22a is more consistent in quality and drier compared to LP gas sold as "propane" at gas station.

but... if it leaks, it basically has the same hazard as leaking barbecue propane.

Even though its mainly propane, after doing some reason, it's unlawful to vent any refrigerant gas, it must be recovered. (whether it makes sense or not, it's illegal, just like its illegal to vent R-134a despite the fact its legal to use as a propellant in aerosol)

Most of you guys don't have a tank for R-22a, rendering the system unserviceable by the average service tech.

Unfortunately, these things are sold as Envirosafe, ES, 22a. They use euphemisms such as "alkanes" or "hydrocarbon" without stating "propane" so that the average consumer-buyer do not realize what they're getting himself into.

The ones sold on eBay are particularly worse as it is unscented, which invites accidents like this.

Lets get a few things correct

Propane (R-290) is a the same vapor / pressure as R-12, not R-22. You can't buy refrigerant grade propane in the bottles sold at gas stations or Wally world. If you know of any place selling refrigeration grade propane as fuel they need to be turned in to the DOT (Department of Transportation) as this an illegal activity. Only propane with odorant added can be sold to consumers. I have industrial systems that use refrigerant grade propane (R-290) as the low side of a cascade system. The high side of the system is ethane and it cools heptane. If you thought R-123 was scarey try working on a system that you think is R-12 only to find out it's propane.-GEO

Quote Originally Posted by ga1279 View Post
    Propane (R-290) is a the same vapor / pressure as R-12, not R-22.
    I think not. I looked at pressure charts. R-290 is quite similar to R-22.
    I believe R-22a is straight propane while R-12a is a propane/butane blend.

You can't buy refrigerant grade propane in the bottles sold at gas stations or Wally world.
    Right, I meant, refrigerant grade propane is purer and drier than fuel grade LPG/propane.

The stuff sold on eBay Enviro-Safe is "pine scented" so they say.

I have used it quite extensively!

It's used in ultra cold cascade systems as a means of anti waxing and oil return. It's needed for the low inner evap temps to get the box down to -180C. Been in these compressed systems forever. Oderless, purified and flamable as hell.

They mean exactly as they print...Service to be performed by qualified personnell only.

It is criminal to use R209 in a system that is not designed for it. Geez can you imagine...the hacks out there running reefer lines in a residential setting. I guess you'd just tee off your propane tank and not have to worry about the gas and go service calls! It would be like an iv. Or at least as deadly as one with an air bubble in it.

opps!...excuse the fat finger typo...it's R290. Necesary stuff!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12