? for Hydronicsman
    Have you ever used an on demand water heater for infloor heat. Like the Bosch 38B. I used to use a 45000 Lochinvar copper boiler but, they quit making the one I used. The apps I need them for could be done with a water heater but, that isn't very eff. Let me know what you think!!! Thanks.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Anybody out there?

I know that some states have banned the use of water heaters for infloor heating.

There are some very good condensing boilers, such as Munchkin, Viessman, the Weil-McLain Ultras, etc. that fit this bill nicely.

I'm pretty certain that it's Mass. that has banned the use of water heaters, but I could be wrong.

Have you checked out http://www.heatinghelp.com ? (The Wall)there are a lot of radiant guys there that could definitely answer your question about the on-demand heaters, and the legalities and pros/cons of using them in this app. I take it that these are real small radiant loops?

dave, I have asked on heatinghelp but no responses several times. I use the Munchkin boilers in houses and bigger projects. I was looking for something a little less costly. In basement infloor jobs it is hard to sell a $2000 boiler. I use water heaters because they are inexpensive and easy to install. I think I got about 40 of them working right now. I have about a dozen Lochinvar 45's out there. I like the Bosch 38 because the btu rating is about right and they are relativly cheap to buy. I have not used one for infloor projects though. I have a number of basement floors roughed in with Wirsbo and hope to find a suitable heating plant for them. Thanks for your thoughts!!

We are using this on an island in-floor job.
    http://www.takagi-usa.com/web2003/e02.htm

Here in michigan if a water heater is approved by the manufacturer for space heating the code allows it. Rinnai is the only one that comes to mind. It can be used as a stand alone heat source or heat and hot water supply with a heat exchanger. The other brands are probably the same but rinnai is the one I'm familar with.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

sometimes when you use those types of hot water heaters, you can achieve better results by adding a buffer tank. on small loads, they tend to overfire and cycle too much.

Lochinvar 45

Originally posted by Dof3
    Have you ever used an on demand water heater for infloor heat. Like the Bosch 38B. I used to use a 45000 Lochinvar copper boiler but, they quit making the one I used. The apps I need them for could be done with a water heater but, that isn't very eff. Let me know what you think!!! Thanks.
    Lochinvar still makes the 45000 Btu/Hr model you used previously. However, they have made this product much better. Previously the Mini-Fin (RB Models), this product has been replaced with the Solution (CB Models). These new models are offered from 45,000-260,000 Btu/Hr. check it out at:
    http://www.lochinvar.com/product.asp...d=CB045&ln=RSB

All standard on this product now:
    -lo/hi/lo temperature control
    -built-in performance loop
    -top water connections
    -2 stage electronic ignition
    -built-in draft diverter

Look into a peerless Pinacle, Modulating burner,condensing lightwieght quiet and seem to be holding up pretty good, about 2,000 for a 140,000.

I spent two weeks last year rewiring and replumbing three "on demand" units in a 24,000 sq/ft. home. The "plumber" that installed the job allowed for no storage in the system. The "boilers" cycled every 30 seconds and would not heat the house nor domestic hot water. A lot of control rewiring and some added storage capacity the system works allright. I would never recommend an on demand system for heating unless it was 100% modulating, with storage capacity.