Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Stung

Getting Stung

Got stung for the third time, from Yellow jackets. All have been at home, I've killed six nest, plus one in the Neighbors yard. I use Sevin Dust on the nest entrance so they will track it under ground. Tried the Traps, only caught a few. Thankfully I'm not allergic, at least not yet.

You should see me at work. I go around on the hunt when im on a maintenance. Try to take care of them so if we end up there for service work most of them will be gone. Then I silicone up the holes so they cant make nests in disconnect boxes Etc. I hate bees. Have not been stung in the 5 years or so ive been in the trade lol.

When I am doing a service call on a roof I usually always have wasp killer with me and remove and open panels carefully on them RTU's. Don't want any surprises!
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

For what it's worth...

I was in my storage building one day and one kept flying around the door...one shot with Brake-Kleen and he hit the dirt like a missile.

None of the flying insect or wasp killer ever worked that good!

Without a doubt the worst I was hit happened to be at a church. They had a nice little patch of purple cone flowers next to the AC with an underground bumble bee nest 20' away. They didn't bother me untill the vacuum pump started then it was holy crap attack mode.

bee stings

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Without a doubt the worst I was hit happened to be at a church. They had a nice little patch of purple cone flowers next to the AC with an underground bumble bee nest 20' away. They didn't bother me untill the vacuum pump started then it was holy crap attack mode.
    my wife was working in our yard and grabbed some branches of a bush and woke up an underground nest & got stung about 18 times....i walked in a few minutesl later and went right to the phone for 911.....they were here in 5 minutes with all kinds of monitors , etc on her. it was a close call as she is allergic to bee venom . she now carries an epipen for an emergency antidote shot....If you're allergic to bee stings you can be in trouble....get some help immediatly.....

In a pinch leak detector in a spray bottle (soap) will ground them, they can't fly with soap on their wings, then use your foot for the final ending

Lorsban works very good to kill them also

When I was a kid, I used to go out to the barn with a piece of furring strip, [wood 3/4x 2"?] about 4 feet long. I would swat yellow jackets with it. Mid-air. I was actually pretty good at it, sort of a Samurai wasp killer. The total barn might have 3 or 500 targets at my best estimate. Of course now I have an Xbox so that seems pretty lame. Nowadays I keep a can of wasp spray handy, you can hit the nest from 15 or 20 feet away with little effort. For the lone bandit, you can swat them with your hand [baseball cap if you wear one]. They won't sting you if you hit them with you hand, you might have to finish the job with your boot though. I have done that a hundred times, never been stung that way.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

Don't know about wasps but in skeeter heaven where I have a get away place we keep a good spray bottle with alcohol in it. Knocks the blood sucking #%!@ out of the air. Wife likes it cause it doesn't mark anything.

Yellow Jackets, my idiot step brother and his friends once dumped black powder down the nest. One of them thought it was a good time to light up a smoke.

Spent 3 days on a compressor replacment on an RTU, found a nest when I pulled the access panel off. Ran across the roof like a little girl. This unit and the 5 others around it had multiple wasp nests in them.

Got real good taking them out in mid air with the wasp spray. did not get stung while on the roof for 3 days, went to toss some garbage in the dumpster and got stung.

Toss a can of spray glue in your bucket. Works great, nice wide pattern(and good for duct linear too).

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    For what it's worth...

I was in my storage building one day and one kept flying around the door...one shot with Brake-Kleen and he hit the dirt like a missile.

None of the flying insect or wasp killer ever worked that good!
    I carry some wasp killer that instantly freezes whatever wasp or bee it hits. Most of the time they are still on their nest in the same position they were in right before they died.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Yeah I've had a few wasps, blue jackets, deer flies, horse flies, mosquito's, and black flies come at me. Usually I let the biters bite. It saves time as opposed to swinging at them like you're half retarded.
    Get money, get paid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast