Insinkerator SS150 stationary shredder replacement- question

I need to replace the stationary shredder in this thing(has small piece missing out of the side) and I was just wondering if anyone has tackled this and if there are any words of wisdom beyond what I've read in the service manual for this. The manual says to use a 5/16 piece of flat steel and wedge it over the rotating shredder nut(covered with a socket do it doesn't mess up the nut) and beat on it while wedged at the inside edge of the stationary shredder to pop it out. It also instructed me to use penetrating oil around the edge to get it loose. Can I just use a "wonder bar" to pry this up or do I need to make something? A new disposal is over 2k and the part is about 250, so I don't think I'm going to be able to sell them a new disposal.

Thanks for any replies.

Tony
    Last edited by tcape; 08-08-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typos
    "Delay is preferable to error"- Thomas Jefferson

Good luck....I ended up breaking it out because the stationary ring was seized in place. Depending on how old the unit is, they may be better off replacing it anyhow. By the time you take the unit down, remove and replace the stationary ring and reinstall the disposer, they will have about half the cost of a new one into it. Plus they will have a gaping hole in their slop sink while you are repairing it. I have found for the most part that fixing garbage disposers is an exercise in futility......Just my worth!!

Thumbs up

check your prices...I found the exact model for lots cheaper then the over 2 large you found....Cut them a deal on a new disposer/install package and make a long term customer.....

I'd much rather replace the disposal

This is an SS150-36- with a 3 phase motor- I will check prices... The price I got was from a local plumbing/HVAC supply house. I will check elsewhere.

swapped with SS100

They decided to go with the following solution---- sheesh!

Take the SS100 at the other end of the kitchen that don't get used much and replace the SS150 with the SS100.

But then reconnect the SS150 where the SS100 was so they can use the sink.

Of course the drain sizes were wrong 2" and 1.5"... got it all back together....

The SS100 probably won't take the abuse long.

Talking

That is good news....In a year or so they will be on the market for 2 disposals.....