Vari-Trac Question

We ran into a Vari-Ttrac CCP V4.200.317.
    Can we use HyperTerminal to connect to the CCP, or possibly an older version
    of Rover (V5) ? If the older Rover will work, will any of the cables provided with
    it be used to connect?
    Will TechView work?
    From Customer complaints, it sounds like we'll at least have to change some
    settings.
    TIA,
    Last edited by jogas; 08-07-2010 at 10:47 AM.
    Jogas
    Four wheel therapy, my 1968 Camaro is gone and will be missed

You use a Trane windows-based program with a serial connection for these. I take it they don't have the touch screen.
    UA LU 562

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCR View Post
    You use a Trane windows-based program with a serial connection for these. I take it they don't have the touch screen.

Thanks for the reply.
    No Touch Screen.
    What is the name of the Trane program....E-Ware?
    I'm looking for specific info (App and Cables required)
    that will allow me to proceed.
    TIA,
    Jogas

Trane program starts with v10, you have v4 (beige hinged door?). It will be hyper terminal to the CCP & zones. With v6 you can see the zones with Rover, it will depend on the boards in the zones. If they are very similar to a VAV UCM, rover should see them making life easier to setup/check the zones than the hyper-terminal commands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

I also have used either HyperTerminal or Procomm Plus, or any terminal emulation should work. It is RS-232 to the panel. You can access the UCM’s through a terminal. There are DIP switches on the CCP to set the baud rate. In a terminal mode you need a cable (one end RJ-12), 8 data bits, 1 stop bits, no parity. I think you have to use all upper case.

With Eware you need the software and a special cable to connect directly to the UCM.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=254232

Possibly that helps. I still have documentation on it if needed, but it wasn't that bad to work with. Making the cable was the biggest pain.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

I live in the Bay Area. Our local Trane Vendor is Fix Air. I walked in and asked for the cable and convertor from them. They were not cheap (around fifty) but worth not having to make my own cable. Youre local Trane parts house will sell the cable and serial to RJ11 convertor. Here is the part #'s. cable:35914260 and convertor:35914262
    Good Luck!!

Thanks to all for the replies.
    Jogas

Blackbelt - you must have a better relationship with your rep. For that I would've just bought it - still a rip off considering how cheap everything that goes into making one.

15 minutes at Fry's electronics, a Hamilton and in about 30 minutes I had one made. Of course last time I made a cable like that was years ago so and I was slow. We needed it for our a contract agreement, so even with the shop paying me to make it we came out ahead, and I am not a cheap date!

You can make one in a lot less time, but it's not pretty. Had to do it when I left my cable. Serial to RJ-45 conn, ethernet cable with one good RJ45 end, a piece of phone cable with a good RJ-10/11 (11 I think), wire stripper and wire nuts!
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/