+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brazing line set

Post Likes

Hmm Brazing line set

I would like to see what people are using to do there line sets. I think it would be fun to see the see how different we are to do the same job.

I use the cheep green pads to clean the copper. They leave no residue.
    Stay-sil 15% brazing rods.
    Oxygen acetylene torch
    #3 tip < 5/8”
    #7 tip > 5/8”
    Purge line with Argon (not nitrogen)
    Thermal Engineering analog Vacuum Gauge.
    Robinair 5 cfm Vacuum Pump.
    Wet rags as heat shield.
    Ratcheting Tube Bender you know the ones you need to keep repositioning on the larger tubing or you will kink the tubing.

Post Likes
    I learned the trade at Columbus technical collage back in 74-76. That was a long time ago, I remember the instructor telling us then that there was a new gas out called MAPP, he told us never to use MAPP gas because it didn’t have the heat needed to do the job right. Back then we were thought brazing using an air acetylene torch with a B tank. I can’t remember the name of it but it looked like a turbo torch. All I can think of is we cooked a lot of copper back then. This is my thought on MAPP gas because that what I learned. I also don’t think air acetylene witch I learned on is not a good choice for a torch anymore. But then maybe it's as I was told once, it's not the torch, it all in knowing how to use the torch.

Post Likes
    I prefer turbo torch, 15%, fiberglass cloth[the one with the little squares in it], and wet rags. -
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by do over View Post
    I learned the trade at Columbus technical collage back in 74-76. That was a long time ago, I remember the instructor telling us then that there was a new gas out called MAPP, he told us never to use MAPP gas because it didn’t have the heat needed to do the job right. Back then we were thought brazing using an air acetylene torch with a B tank. I can’t remember the name of it but it looked like a turbo torch. All I can think of is we cooked a lot of copper back then. This is my thought on MAPP gas because that what I learned. I also don’t think air acetylene witch I learned on is not a good choice for a torch anymore. But then maybe it's as I was told once, it's not the torch, it all in knowing how to use the torch.
    the instructor i have now says mapp gas will work, but not propane. i haven't tried it yet, but have been using oxy-acetylene torches

Post Likes
    Do Over, you sound like a perfectionist, not a bad thing.

Post Likes
    brazing with mapp gas is good for about 3\8, 1\2 inch max copper, if its close to any larger masses of metal, you gotta get out the oxy acetyl. it is convienent for repairing hairline condensor cracks on rooftops, just easier and lighter to carry.

Post Likes
    Brazing is done at tempertaures around 1200-1800*F
    Soldering is done around 500-800*F

Brazing Should always be used with refrigerant and anyother highpressure piping, it brings the copper to a hotter state and allows the filler material to bond with the molecules

Soldering is done a low temps and basically all you melt is the solder, and it will only adhere to the surface of the copper.

I cant find the exact temperatures online, but I havent know an Air-Acetylene rig or Air-Mapp rig to get hot enought to properly braze.

Now for a bonus question: What does the Acetylene B and MC tanks sizes actually mean. (Where did the lettering standard come from)
    Testing....Signature on Full Site Forum

Post Likes
    I use Oxy Acetylene for most jobs, but have my handy Turbo for back up, or jobs with a lot of joints. 15% wet rags, abrasive cloth.

Buddy of mine does all resi stuff, and always solders his line sets, been doing it for many years and never had a joint leak after initial test. Uses a hand MAAP torch, hard to argue with his results. And he has never burnt a valve or TEV.

I use Nitro like most, is Argon cheaper?
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TCreacy View Post
    Now for a bonus question: What does the Acetylene B and MC tanks sizes actually mean. (Where did the lettering standard come from)
    I was taught that the tank designation was from the old days, MC Meant for Motor cycle use, as in the Head light, yes bottled gas was used for lighting, and the B tank was for use for bus head lights. not sure if it is 100% correct, but thats what our instructors taught us in trade school in the 80's

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurmont HVAC View Post
    I was taught that the tank designation was from the old days, MC Meant for Motor cycle use, as in the Head light, yes bottled gas was used for lighting, and the B tank was for use for bus head lights. not sure if it is 100% correct, but thats what our instructors taught us in trade school in the 80's
    Very interesting.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurmont HVAC View Post
    MC = Motor Coach (cars)
    B = Buses
    Youre right on...
    Testing....Signature on Full Site Forum

Post Likes
    MC= Motor Car

Post Likes
    What's pipe diameter limit for a straight acetylene turbo torch using 15%?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by midhvac View Post
    What's pipe diameter limit for a straight acetylene turbo torch using 15%?
    About 1" is my guesstimate.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbaron View Post
    I use Nitro like most, is Argon cheaper?
    Argon cost more. 80CF of Argon is $40

Post Likes
    I saw at the Dome Hepot and wowes stores they now have tiny oxy-mapp gas torch sets, just wondering if anybody else has seen this and comments. Didn't really notice what they were marketed towards.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by busterweaver View Post
    I saw at the Dome Hepot and wowes stores they now have tiny oxy-mapp gas torch sets, just wondering if anybody else has seen this and comments. Didn't really notice what they were marketed towards.
    Jewlers use tiny rigs.

Post Likes
    That makes sense.

Post Likes
    used to have a jewelers torch tip and handle that we used to braze or solder lead. Had refrigerated anodizing vats that were lead lined. Had to repair leaks in the liners, as the solutions used to anodize the aluminum would eat up the copper refer lines under the lead liner. welding lead is a fun thing to learn.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by uniservice View Post
    used to have a jewelers torch tip and handle that we used to braze or solder lead. Had refrigerated anodizing vats that were lead lined. Had to repair leaks in the liners, as the solutions used to anodize the aluminum would eat up the copper refer lines under the lead liner. welding lead is a fun thing to learn.
    What's up with the lead liner ? Why lead ? A lot of lead was used in plumbing back in the day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in