Florida Home - Furnace or Heat Pump

I live in a south central florida and am about to replace by A/C unit. Currently I have a furnace installed and has served well.

I am having estimates for a new system and half the contractors are saying go with Heat Pump and half are saying go with Heat Pump.

I am confused.

Any advise appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by maxman View Post
    half the contractors are saying go with Heat Pump and half are saying go with Heat Pump.

I am confused.
    So am I..

Quote Originally Posted by fotofx View Post
    So am I..
    i guess we're all in agreement then?

Quote Originally Posted by maxman View Post
    I live in a south central florida and am about to replace by A/C unit. Currently I have a furnace installed and has served well.

I am having estimates for a new system and half the contractors are saying go with Heat Pump and half are saying go with Heat Pump.

I am confused.

Any advise appreciated.
    Was or is your gas bill high? Why convert when you have the best in NG?

I presume you meant to say "half said go with heat pump and half said go with furnace". Have them do an energy analysis to calculate the difference in bills with HP vs AC/furnace. If they are to lazy or ignorant to do that, keep looking.

Post your electricity and gas rates.

Provided that the outdoor temp doesn't drop below 32 (does it anywhere in florida?) and the electric rate is reasonable, you'll probably be best served by a heatpump.

Today's units provide 3+ units of heat for every unit of electricity consumed above freezing - not bad.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Provided that the outdoor temp doesn't drop below 32 (does it anywhere in florida?)
    I dont' know first hand, but I've seen the stories on the news of frost ruining part of the orange crop!

max

I see nothing wrong with a HP.

you should analyze your fuel costs. see link below.

even more, you will require at least a small heat strip for extra heating capacity when Central Florida has those freezing spells. Heat strips might mean modification/upgrade to your electric panel which means cost. only your dealer/electrical contractor can make a judgement there.

IMO

http://www.warmair.com/html/fuel_cost_comparisons.htm

Or he can do a heat pump with a gas furnace as a backup.