Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Freon line making noise

Is it normal for the copper line with freon in them to make noise? Almost like a water pipe with water running through it. It could be described as a scratching sound.

Yes it is normal. The freon in the small line is (or should be) in a liquid state as it flows into the evaporator coil at the furnace.

Yep, completely normal.

Yep it fine.
    Knocking or rattling would be different.

If you can hear it in the wall from inside of the house you might have a kink in a copper line.

Quote Originally Posted by memphistech View Post
    If you can hear it in the wall from inside of the house you might have a kink in a copper line.
    This is kind of a stretch. But from what you described, it is normal.

Are you sure this is normal. I have had several A/C systems installed in my house during the last 30 years. I have never heard anything from those pipes. I just walked to the Apt building acroos street from my house, there are about 20 A/C units on the ground there. heard nothing.

thats alot of a/c units you've had over 30 years, try doing a little maintenance does it make the noise when the system is running or off?

Am I 100% positive that you do not have any type of problem with your a/c: no. But I am not led to believe from what you describe that you do either. I would expect you to hear the noise, more at the indoor coil, where the metering device is. If it bothers you, pay a tech, to come and go over the system, then you will have the peace of mind you are looking for. No one can tell you for sure over the internet.

Sorry, I should say my house(s), I moved 4 times during the last 30 years. But, What caused the noise in the pipe anyway? I heard people talked about this before. No one seems know exactly what is going on in there.

Quote Originally Posted by clocert View Post
    Sorry, I should say my house(s), I moved 4 times during the last 30 years. ANyway, What caused the noise in the pipe ? I heard people talked about this before. No one seems know exactly what is going on in there.
    Actually any tech, should know exactly what is going on inside there. Anyway as mentioned before, the refrigerant should be in liquid form, in the smaller of the 2 lines, when this liquid hits the metering device, which is essentially a restriction, and only allows a certain amount of the liquid refrigerant through at a time, noise often occurs, similar to turning on water at a low flow.

I understand the theroy, but not every pipe make noise, some do, some don't. so there must be another factor in there did this ? You said 'often' occur, that means not always. that 'often' is a key. Interesting enough, one of my faucets(pipes) making noise when I turn it low as you mentioned, but not the others.

Quote Originally Posted by clocert View Post
    Are you sure this is normal. I have had several A/C systems installed in my house during the last 30 years. I have never heard anything from those pipes. I just walked to the Apt building acroos street from my house, there are about 20 A/C units on the ground there. heard nothing.
    Is this a new install or has this been going on for awhile?
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast