+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with fp ?'s

Post Likes

Help with fp ?'s

I think we have decide on the Valor radiant fp for our living room. I ill be putting it on the wall the room shares with the garage. I will be bumping it into the room about 11" and have the rear about flush with the garage wall.

Then venting into exsisting unused chimney right next to it.

My ? is this; the paperwork shows the rough opening but it is shown with the fp being flush with the wall. If im bumping it in do I need to now build a wall around the unit 11" deep ?

If so do I need to sheetrock it also or will my mantle cover it when I have it built ?

Or can I just cut the hole in the wall and frame the headre and studs from the garage side and have the fp bump in and then have the carpenter build the mantle or do I need to build a wall so the fp can be fastened to it ?

Post Likes

Cool cannot answer here

Sorry cvcman but you have asked a LOT of DIY questions, which is not allowed on this site. You can ask on the Pro section but even there, your answers lie in the codes and listed instructions of that particular Fp. The use of an unused chimney by a built-in fireplace is tricky and must be tested for that application. The mfr. must specify the venting approved for this application so no freestyle.
    HTH,

Post Likes
    well the only part i am doing myself would be the framing, the install will be doene by the stove co. They said going into the chimney is no problem and even the manufacturer shows that in their flyer.

I was more curious about mantle height and if I needed to build a wall.

Post Likes
    I would ask the dealer for assistance on what framing needs to be done. It can vary for different fireplaces. I could tell you what we usually do, but it might not work the same for the fireplace you are using.

Sometimes you need to build an entire wall. Some fireplaces you might be able to build a custom wood "cabinet" that just fits right around it.

Post Likes
    They told me there is a number of ways to do it. I now see they offer mantle cabinets that would bump into the room about 16" and put the unit inside and then pipe vent direct out the rear into garage and tap into exsisting chimney.

What have you guys seen that looks good ? Does it look funny bumping into the room as apposed to being flush with the wall ?

I cant really bump it into the garage as the door would hit coming into the gargae.

Ideas or pics ?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in