Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The other thing with reverse osmosis systems, is generally they don't remove 100% of the minerals. If you check with a TDS Meter (total dissolved solids) your incoming tds may be 300, and coming out of the RO may be 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    The other thing with reverse osmosis systems, is generally they don't remove 100% of the minerals. If you check with a TDS Meter (total dissolved solids) your incoming tds may be 300, and coming out of the RO may be 50.
    Yeah, 50 would be the highest I'd like to see out of an RO system working properly, for scale reduction. Course, when you get really low, and you have exposed probes, they may not conduct.

I had a kettle at a place, they wouldn't replace it, even though it would blow it's water charge out every week or so through a pinhole at the bottom.
    We always replaced the water with distilled, and after a few weeks, I couldn't get the silly thing to believe it had a proper water level in it. Added a pinch of salt, and they were good for another week.

Quote Originally Posted by CFESAmasterEGSR View Post
    Is that the rotary actuator style? They were building them when I was at the factory a couple of years ago. Said they would cut off a wooden broom handle.

All I've seen in the field have been linear actuator type of the gen 2 Frymaster lov fryers.

I have seen frymasters with the ATO system in the general market now. And 35lb frypot h50 models. And with basically the 3000 computer, but I haven't seen a full featured "AIF" (LOV) bank anywhere but mcd so far. Is that what you meant by "not even released yet"? Is there an expected release time for the full featured AIF (mcd LOV) to the general market (non mcd)?

The rotary actuator is a welcome improvement over the linear actuator that wears the valve stem notched bracket out so the valve doesn't close all the way. I've had to change a few of those.

They were talking about their KFC open fryer to replace the pressure fryers when I was down there, but I haven't seen anything of that yet either.
    Yes, that's the original linear acutuator, on the Gen *1* LOV's, in 2007 maybe?. Hey, I'm old. At that time, they had not been selling them to the general market yet.

They didn't have the gas ones ready then, I saw one in the test kitchen though. Looked like a real bear to work on.

Yeah, the rotory actuators are better.

I believe the AIF's are only McD. I've put in some JIB / ATO only units at burger kings, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBozo2315 View Post
    Yeah, 50 would be the highest I'd like to see out of an RO system working properly, for scale reduction. Course, when you get really low, and you have exposed probes, they may not conduct.

I had a kettle at a place, they wouldn't replace it, even though it would blow it's water charge out every week or so through a pinhole at the bottom.
    We always replaced the water with distilled, and after a few weeks, I couldn't get the silly thing to believe it had a proper water level in it. Added a pinch of salt, and they were good for another week.
    I heard the same thing from Manitowoc, that they've had problems with people using RO water, and there are so few minerals the water level probe won't conduct.

Great discussion here guys.

Also remember that distilled water is the only way to stop galvonic action in any body of water. So even a boiler with RO water feeding it will still have to have the corrosion inhibitor replaced as with any normal water supply.

If the water will conduct for the water level circuitry, it will conduct the naturally occuring galvonic currents. (Galvonic corrosion/electrolysis)

Boiler plate steel is not as weak as magnesium (corrosion inhibitor for most boilers), but its close. You'll have no scale but your boiler shell will still corode away.

Just no way around proper maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBozo2315 View Post
    Yes, that's the original linear acutuator, on the Gen *1* LOV's, in 2007 maybe?. Hey, I'm old. At that time, they had not been selling them to the general market yet.

They didn't have the gas ones ready then, I saw one in the test kitchen though. Looked like a real bear to work on.

Yeah, the rotory actuators are better.

I believe the AIF's are only McD. I've put in some JIB / ATO only units at burger kings, I think.

Ive seen 2011 model gas (gen 2) units that were linear still.

Saw a sonic the other day with a ATO h50 wth 35lb frypots. But manual filtration

I'm afraid to see these LOV's in ten years. The only ones I've worked on are at Mcd's. Some of the ones at the busier restaurants filter a lot of times in a day, and will take out a pump/motor in under a year.

In my opinion the electronics are a little overcomplicated. I've worked on a couple of Henny Penny LOV's in Mcd's that where out of warranty. The Henny Pennys seemed easier to work on than the frymasters, and seem to be holding up pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    I'm afraid to see these LOV's in ten years. The only ones I've worked on are at Mcd's. Some of the ones at the busier restaurants filter a lot of times in a day, and will take out a pump/motor in under a year.

In my opinion the electronics are a little overcomplicated. I've worked on a couple of Henny Penny LOV's in Mcd's that where out of warranty. The Henny Pennys seemed easier to work on than the frymasters, and seem to be holding up pretty good.
    Can't disagree. Those fryers up front doing french fries see a ton of filter cycles. The good thing for the pumps is that there's no chance of Frank-the-fry-filter-person leaving the drain valve and refill valve open, and taking a 20-minute break, with the pump just a chooglin away.

I've only worked on the older Henney Pennys at Wendys, and I loved how the contactors were right up front.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123