Goodman Central AC unit making intermittent noise and not blowing cold air.

I have a Goodman model # SSZ140181AC central AC unit which was installed a little more than a year ago. The unit worked fine up until about 2 months ago when it, occasionally stops blowing cold air and makes a lot of noise (like the compressor is trying to turn on). This happens with no apparent pattern (happens on hot days and cold days....when it's been on for a long time and when we just turned it on).

The noise is the same noise it makes when the unit turns on and then starts working (when working, the noise lasts for a couple of seconds and then the unit gets very quiet and runs fine), but when it's not working, the noise lasts until we turn it off. When the unit is not working, the outside AC unit (not in the room, but outside the house) exhausts cold air (as opposed to hot air when it is working).

Sometimes power cycling the unit fixes it, but other times it does not.

We had a AC repair person come take a look and he suggested adding a starter assist motor for $, but given that this is a fairly new unit, I didn't want to spend the extra money before seeing if something else might be wrong. Especially since the parts for the unit are still under warranty from Goodman.

If you have any idea what this might be, I'd love to hear your thoughts. And note, I'm not looking for DIY help! I just want to know if there might be a solution to this problem that my HVAC professional hasn't thought of.

Thank you for your help!
    Jeff
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-04-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: price

Did the repair person check out the capacitors, Connections and refrigerant pressures and temperatures?

That's a good question. I can only assume that he did. Is there anything that you had in mind? I can ask him to come back and check whatever needs to be checked.

all of the above

Quote Originally Posted by buktotruth View Post
    That's a good question. I can only assume that he did. Is there anything that you had in mind? I can ask him to come back and check whatever needs to be checked.
    One of those things may be out of line causing the compressor under a heavy load not to work.
    Ask him maybe he did but; it would be good to know if everything else is in line.
    Your unit has a scroll compressor and they do not typically use start assist components.

The repairman is coming tomorrow, so I'll make sure to ask him about these. But now there's a new symptom (which we discovered since posting the original message!).

The pan for condensation on the unit inside the house is overflowing and causing a leak (which is how we noticed the problem...the leak was coming into the ceiling of the floor below the unit). Upon inspection (opening up the access panel to the unit in the house), the pipes were covered in lots of frost (while the unit was running). As soon as I shut the unit off, all the frost instantly melted and fell into the tray...which was already full and so more water overflowed.

-Jeff

There is a problem

The repairman is coming tomorrow, so I'll make sure to ask him about these. But now there's a new symptom (which we discovered since posting the original message!).

The pan for condensation on the unit inside the house is overflowing and causing a leak (which is how we noticed the problem...the leak was coming into the ceiling of the floor below the unit). Upon inspection (opening up the access panel to the unit in the house), the pipes were covered in lots of frost (while the unit was running). As soon as I shut the unit off, all the frost instantly melted and fell into the tray...which was already full and so more water overflowed.

-Jeff
    Have him check it out.
    I would check my filter in the mean time. and if it was really dirty I would let him know.

The pan overflow problem may or may not be a separate issue from the outside unit hum. You may have developed a blockage in your metering device either from a poor installation or because of this frequent compressor lockups. If it were a simple issue like dirty filter then it's not of concern. This can be diagnosed by taking amp draws and refrigerant pressures and temps, the tech can also check your compressor windings.

SSZ heat pumps have scroll compressors, it does not require a HS kit when paired with orifice on indoor coil, but it does require HS kit when TXV is used. Capacitor needs to be checked too.

Your equipment carries a 10-yr parts warranty if registered online within 60 days of the original installation.

-Jeff