Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    No wonder it took so long.

Yeah, you made quite a federal project out of that, good job.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

No $1000 toilet seats though. I should have charged myself more. It's probably the George W influence, everything costs more and takes longer than it should.

4 years to the date of purchase exactly, the GE fridge has died. How's yours running Diceman? We're scheduling service right now, it's supposed to have a 5 year warranty.

I noticed it was running a lot. Then I noticed that things were thawing in the freezer. My condenser coil, which is the stupidest design I have ever seen, is squeaky clean. As clean as I can get it anyway. It's like a long sheet of coil wrapped up into a paint can sized thing and since it is wrapped around itself you can't really get in there to clean it well. Now it runs all the time and the freezer is 33 degrees and the fridge side is 50 degrees.

My 15 year old whirlpool is still kicking ass and taking names in the basement. More importantly, it is keeping my beer at 38 degrees.

Originally posted by dave and julie

My 15 year old whirlpool is still kicking ass and taking names in the basement.
    My Sears Coldspot turned 50 this year. My parents bought it in 1955, and its been in use ever since. It's mine now. Still have the original owners manual. Built like a tank and runs perfectly. Its 50s retro look gets a lot of comments. Anyone else have an old frig like this that's still kicking?

This thread almost made me fall out of my chair laughing a few times.
    I have an old manual defrost GE frigitator with no fans that is still going strong and the comp is quiet and kept running at approx. 80VAC when I plugged it into my GE variac so I assume it is healthy enough. I don't know how old it is though as I cannot find an info plate on it anywhere.
    In my neck of the woods to most people "Maintenance" equals cursing at and/or kicking something when it breaks down.

To get the degree symbol ° on Windows hold down the Alt key and type 0176 on the keyboard number pad. It is also available via the character map, and on Windows 8.1 devices with a touchscreen via the on screen keyboard.

If you are the type where the painting is more important than the frame, or you just like movies, join me in listening to the widescreen.org podcast.

I've got a GE refrigerator that was old when I got it 40+ years ago.
    I don't have any way to know the exact age, but it is old enough to have been charged with sulphur dioxide.

The cabinet is "chest style", about 3 ft tall & 20" x 20" square.

It has an exposed evaporator (shelf), just barely big enough to hold an ice cube tray. We used it as a "Coke" box, as the old deposit bottles would just fit standing up. It would'nt hold an entire case, only 20 bottles.
    No racks, but it looks like it once had one.

The compressor is about 18" tall, and a foot in diameter. It can't be over 1/12 hp.
    Its a welded hermetic, so my best guess is about 1930?

Anybody ever seen one of these?

Just caught this thread. I have the GE GSS22KGMBWW. I'll never buy another GE. It's about 4 years old. Shortly after we bought it, we had problems w/the ice auger/motor. It'd get moisture inside it and freeze up. The guy came and gave me a new motor with a moisture kit. Why couldn't GE think of that when they made the damn thing?

Then a year or so later it happened again. The evap was also icing up weekly, and I'd go in there with my torch and defrost it - very carefully, lest the aluminum vaporize. At the same time the evap motor started doing the wwwwwwwhrrrrrrreeeeeeee thing. Factory warranty had run out. I figured I'd fix it myself. I opened up the back to check the timer, and realized it would need a computer technician to fix it. This fridge had a board the size of my head.

But GE was continuing to send me the Service Agreement info. I figured now was a good time to get it. The guy came in with a truckload of parts. Now the agreement is expired. The next part that goes on this, the whole thing is being pushed out the door. I hate side-by-sides anyway.

I have 3 1950's fridges in my garage. I'm gonna restore one and put it in my 50's kitchen someday.

VANCE???

Are you out there?

The repair guy said it was the defrost heater. He wanted over $200 to put a new one in. We happily paid him the $65 service call/diagnostic fee and I will put a new defrost heater in when I get home. It has to defrost anyway. I was betting on a refrigerant leak or compressor issue and I lost the bet. I couldn't see all the ice built up behind the evaporator cover. Next time I'll take it apart first.

Next thing to fix is the intermittent solenoid for the water in the door thingie. The GE has a voracious appetite for parts, the Whirlpool has only needed a new thermostat so far.

[Edited by dave and julie on 11-29-2005 at 05:18 PM]

Re: VANCE???

Originally posted by condenseddave
    Are you out there?
    I am here now, pretty damn busy lately.
    My fridge is working good, the plastic ice maker auger broke up a bit. I have an extended warranty and the GE guy came the next day, looked at it and oredered me a new one, they sent it out in a few days and I put it in. No problem.
    Everything is cheaper these days, my old GE's ran great, it's just a matter of the new engineering and all that crap. The GE guy said new ones will have transformers to bulk the power up to 230 volt, split phase or something like that. It's bad enough they use dc motors now this newfangled crap. I never used to buy extended warranties but I would recommed it on some of these big ticket items, like fridges or hdtv's.
    I do have a toilet that goes rgggggggggggggggerrrrrrrrrrrrr when it is filling up though. Cheap ass water fill thingy.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Re: Re: VANCE???

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diceman
    I do have a toilet that goes rgggggggggggggggerrrrrrrrrrrrr when it is filling up though. Cheap ass water fill thingy.
    Maybe you need more roughage?

And turn on the fan!

Light a match for cryin' out loud!

The GE is acting up again. The fridge side is 50 degrees, yup the coil is frozen over. Took it apart and blew at it with the hair dryer for 15 minutes and bolted it back together. That was two weeks ago. Tonight, same story. Last time I chaulked it up to a pierogi-fest with high humidity in the kitchen doing its thing to the moisture sensitive GE. Now, I think it wants more parts.

So far I've put an evap fan motor and a defrost heater in it. I ohmed this heater out and it appears to still be good. I don't know if I even want to go any further with this boat anchor. It's going to be 8 years old this year...

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast