Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Setup issues and missing features with Carrier Edge Thermostat

Today, I just had a new Performance system installed (24APA5024 and FV4CNB003TOO) along with an Edge Thermostat.

According the literature that I received, the model number of the thermostat is TP-PRH.

According to thermostat manual, I should be able to control the de-humidity setting and I should have the setpoint temperature in the middle of the screen, under the room temperature.

However, I can't find anyway to control the de-humidity function (options are not lit up on the screen) and the setpoint temperature isn't in the middle of the screen, but to the right under the frame (which means that I have to open the thermostat to view the setpoint).

Is there some feature that I need to enable to see and use both of these features?

I called my installer about the dehumidity setting and he said that he had set the dehumidification to 60% using a hidden menu (?), but wouldn't go further (he instead asked me to try the system as set for a week or so).

One of the reasons that I went for the Performance system over the Comfort systems was so I could monkey around with the de-humidity settings.

Thoughts? Feedback?

Please note that I'm not trying to start a DIY thread. I'm just hoping to use my equipment already installed.

you may have gotten an older model t-stat? from the brochure a salesman left, you should see Actual Temp, Set Point, & Time vertically stacked in the center of the t-stat screen.

when you open the door do you see "dehumidify" above one of the lower buttons (2nd from left)?

it's definitely something that the homeowner should be able to modify, if you have the right setup & equipment.

Confused

I do see dehumidify above the second from the left buttons. But, this option isn't selectable and is grayed out.

but your set point isn't visible with the t-stat door closed? which doesn't mesh with the current model instructions and description.

Quote Originally Posted by weathertop View Post
    and the setpoint temperature isn't in the middle of the screen, but to the right under the frame (which means that I have to open the thermostat to view the setpoint).

60%RH, is your installer nuts?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by drewski11 View Post
    but your set point isn't visible with the t-stat door closed? which doesn't mesh with the current model instructions and description.
    Hi Drewski11:

Yeah, I know. My manual describes a different look and feel than what is installed.

So, attached, are two pictures of my Edge thermostat.

(1) The file entitled "closed" show the thermostat with the frame closed. Please note that the setpoint is not visible when the door is closed. Only the actual room temperature and the time are visible. And, yep, I ran my system too low overnight (at 70 degrees) as my wife and I woke up freezing. At least the overall system is working great.

(2) The attachment entitled "open" show the available features when the door is open. In the lower left hand corner, if you look closely, you'll see some text entitled "dehumidify." It is grayed out and isn't selectable.

Is there an installer code that enables one or both of these features?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

hopefully some Carrier / Bryant dealer will chime in.

and as Beenthere says, 60% is not good. borderline for when mold can grow.

I called Carrier today and (in an act that didn't inspire confidence) the agent couldn't find this model of thermostat in their database.

The agent then asked me to call back my installer and to request a swap-out of the thermostat. I'm unsure, but I think she recommended this only because she was unable to do anything else during my call.

So, I have an appointment for Friday for a return visit. My installer was somewhat grumpy about the visit, though. I think that his interest was only quickened when I mentioned that I had already called Carrier and they recommended a swap out.

In the meantime, I would really appreciate any feedback that could be offered by other Carrier/Bryant dealers on my questions on this topic.

Thoughts? Feedback?

It is option 19 in the advanced setup you should see dehum under the section that lists the time periods right under sleep. If you press fan for 10 seconds then go to option 19 and set it to 2 you will have dehum set up right now it is either not setup or something is wrong with the control

Quote Originally Posted by reediejay View Post
    It is option 19 in the advanced setup you should see dehum under the section that lists the time periods right under sleep. If you press fan for 10 seconds then go to option 19 and set it to 2 you will have dehum set up right now it is either not setup or something is wrong with the control
    No DIY here and there is a reason the owner doesn't get a copy of the setup manual. If the installer sees that the setup is changed on the thermostat they will probably void the warranty of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by jegs View Post
    No DIY here and there is a reason the owner doesn't get a copy of the setup manual. If the installer sees that the setup is changed on the thermostat they will probably void the warranty of the system.
    It is something they should be able to modify. Keeping the installation manual isn't going to stop them from changing the setup if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by jegs View Post

We do frown upon DIY.

However. The install manual was bought and paid for by the OP. Any customer that buys an HVAC device, pays for the installation manual. It is their property. And should be left on the jobsite.

And when home owners can't get their contractors to set up a thermostat correctly. We don't stop someone from giving the info in those cases. including the proper setting for the function they want to change.

Now if someone starts giving how to wire it instructions. Thats different.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

reediejay: I tried your instructions and option 19 for me didn't have a "2" setting. The only options I had were "1" and "off." Setting to "1" didn't enable any changes in the thermostat functionality. De-humidify is still grayed out. I set it back to "off" once I validated that nothing of value happened in the "1" setting.

Jegs: In my first post, I noted that I'm not trying to start a DIY thread. And, I've paid for an installation from a Carrier dealer who appears to be less than excited to help me out. And, I've called Carrier and they've referred me back to the dealer. I've also posted pictures of my installed thermostat. Call me crazy, but if my questions here are interpreted as a DIY after all this...well, you get my drift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast