cheap air conditioners

Has anyone heard of Comfort Star condensers.
    I think it is another piece of crap ac that will be sold to anybody with a forged epa card, just guessing though

i havent heard of them, but, i think the only thing that would make it a pos would be the person installing it. just my opinion

Johnstone has them here in South Florida. They are located in Medley (West of Miami).. Makes a Goodman look like a Trane..

Well, the 14-SEER specs I looked at showed a Copeland Scroll compressor, R410A, & a TXV. The other components & coils may be similar to other other equipment's.

Those are decent components, so I wouldn't make too harsh an offhand judgment of the equipment. I don't know about the pricing...

I dont think it really matters what brand you have to a point. The majority of them use the same two compressors and the smae few condenser motors. The question should be is the person installing it qualified/licensed? The majority of issues with HVAC equipment is due to improper installation. Plus many of them have comparable warranties.

Quote Originally Posted by dmd-marc View Post
    I dont think it really matters what brand you have to a point. The majority of them use the same two compressors and the smae few condenser motors. The question should be is the person installing it qualified/licensed? The majority of issues with HVAC equipment is due to improper installation. Plus many of them have comparable warranties.
    While I generally agree... There is a big difference in installing a "economy" unit and a higher end unit. You feel it in everything you touch. Although it may have a big name compressor... The rest of the parts may give away its true value. I always love it when the design is so poor you have trouble getting your gauges on.. Nevermind a core removal tool.

Quote Originally Posted by dmd-marc View Post
    As you said. To a point. Yeah they all pretty much use the same components and if a jackass installs a unit vs. a good installation. Obviously the good install has a better chance. But truth be told and I do this for a living. Some brands are POS and have a lot more problems than others. No matter what the warranty, even if a lifetime parts and labor. If you can't get parts for some of the "offbrands" it really doesn't matter very much what the warranty is. You really only need parts 1 of 2 times. It hot or cold outside and uncomfortable. Some brands have better presence in some areas that others and have better supply houses, which is really what it boils down to.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

In the earlier mentioned brands defense, I have needed tech support and one of their engineers did take the time to help me determine it was a bad compressor as I had felt all along. Also I have had no problems with parts or warranty exchange from Johnstone. It all comes down to the old "you get what you pay for". They are not one of the big boys, but they are not charging like the big boys either.

Quote Originally Posted by fotofx View Post
    I always love it when the design is so poor you have trouble getting your gauges on.. Nevermind a core removal tool.
    Or you have to wear gloves to keep from cutting yourself on the badly fitting super thin gauge metal access panels...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Fine piece of Chinese engineering! Around Indy, seem popular with the apt. complexes.