Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nut Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by follett View Post
    Here's a link to them you can probably find them cheaper on ebay or something http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....7&group_ID=746 they aren't magnetic which I dont mind, because half the time the magnetic ones fill up with shavings and your cleaning the ends out...
    btw I lose tools because I have a helper! Once more than one set of hands ends up in a tool bag things seem to go missing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Twigga View Post
    Kent that is very true I wish they had magnetic nut driver that had a bigger hole for through bolts. But I think the magnet needs to be that size to hold bolts and screws with all the metal shavings it collects over time.
    Hey guys a co-worker of mine (who doesn't do too much actual work) discovered a way to clean out those ever dreadful shavings from your magnetic nut drivers and drill tips. If you can get your hands on some of the sticky butyl rubber sealant used to seal the joints on duct-mate/Mezz joints squish it up into a ball and cram it into the tip it will suck out all the metal shavings and junk. It may take a few squashes but it works like a dream. All my old tips are like brand new now after I found this out.

Good idea, will have to use that with mine.

Anyone ever try the Klein Heavy-Duty Multi-Bit Screwdriver/Nut Driver 32557? I saw this in Home Depot, and it looks more "heavy-duty" compared to the 11-in-1.

Klein link:

http://www.service.kleintools.com/To.../Product/32557

Heavy-Duty Multi-Bit Screwdriver/Nut Driver

• Superior torque for tough applications.
    • Interchangeable shaft holds 6 universal tips; converts to 3 nut driver sizes and 1 hex driver.
    • Nut drivers are heat-treated for added strength and improved torque
    • Cushion-Grip handles provide superior comfort
    • Contains: 3/16" and 1/4" slotted, #1 and #2 Phillips, 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" nut drivers, #1 and #2 square-recess, 3/8" hex driver

I have two. They are pretty tough. They come with the 3/8 driver the 11 in 1 does not. They do also feel a little beefier then the 11 in 1
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

As far as 6 in 1 or 10 in 1 type screwdrivers go, try the "Lenox" brand. They are made out of thicker walled metal that seems to last longer before getting stripped out.

Greenlee hollow nut drivers, Malco 5/16 and 1/4 (the orange and purple one). I wish the greenlee and kline shorty nut drivers had a magnet. I think I'll steal a magnet out of an old bit and hot glue it in. I don't like the 11 in 1 drivers. They're too short and too fat. And don't forget too long extensions and 1/2 inch nut driver bit for compressor change outs. It works great. No more busted up knuckles.

Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    I have two. They are pretty tough. They come with the 3/8 driver the 11 in 1 does not. They do also feel a little beefier then the 11 in 1
    Sounds good, I may have to get one. It looked like they have a longer reach as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Baycienda View Post
    Greenlee hollow nut drivers, Malco 5/16 and 1/4 (the orange and purple one). I wish the greenlee and kline shorty nut drivers had a magnet. I think I'll steal a magnet out of an old bit and hot glue it in. I don't like the 11 in 1 drivers. They're too short and too fat. And don't forget too long extensions and 1/2 inch nut driver bit for compressor change outs. It works great. No more busted up knuckles.
    For what it's worth, they also offer an extended-reach version:

http://www.service.kleintools.com/To.../Product/32560

Extended-Reach Multi-Bit Screwdriver/Nut Driver

• Interchangeable shaft holds 4 universal tips and converts to 2 nut driver sizes.
    • Extended shafts and blades provide 39% longer reach.
    • Extra-long shaft provides full reach of 4 standard-blade screwdriver.
    • Small diameter shaft for comfortable grip and quick, easy turning.
    • Contains: 1/4" slotted, #2 Phillips, 1/4" and 5/16" nut drivers, #1 and #2 square-recess.

When you really need them, nothing else will do: http://www.service.kleintools.com/To...VSET-7PCMAG6IN

My preferred HD front line nut drivers are 6" magnetic Raptors: http://www.raptortool.com/Specs/RAP1...7_508_Spec.pdf

However, my newest best friends are these two: http://sensibleproducts.com/slidedriver.html The stubby can be removed and used in a 1/4" hex driver such as my impact gun. They fit very well, too.

I agree on the Lenox being beefier than the Klein, I also have the Klein ratcheting but its kind of heavy. I've got almost every brand name made I'm a tool monger and have a tool bag for every type of work. Don't use my LC much, people around here think its a bowling bag, go figure?
    I bought the long Klein hollow shaft nutdrivers individually on Amazon and it was a little cheaper than whole set, no tax (TX) and free shipping, I just didn't buy the 3/16, I have never run across a 3/16 nut.

I used to have Klein nut drivers, and still have some, but I have sat them down in an attic or on top of something and left them there, so I go with cheaper ones now just in the even i lose it. But when I used kleins, they help up great. I even ended up bending the shaft of my long 5/16 so I could get it around linesets that where installed in the way :P

I use the Kleins. The thickness is a little too tick to fit on contactors so I chucked them in a lathe and took some meat off the outside diameter. They are holding up well so far.
    Doug

My Kleins last forever as I use my little Bosch impactor with DeWalt bits. I just bought this kit, it is awesome. The magnets on the lid allow it to stick to a steel surface in the open position. When I change between bits the bit goes right into the case before I grab the bit that I need.

http://m.canadiantire.ca/mt/www.cana....jsp?locale=en

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1353775906522.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  9.2 KB

This kit is great but you need to buy these pivoting magnetic nutsetters separately as they aren't included. They have a sleeve that locks them in straight mode or slides forward to allow offset for fasteners that are too close to get your drill or hand in.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1353776198130.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  23.2 KB

DeWalt went to a lot of effort to make an Impact Ready line of bits and holesaws,etc. They fit perfectly and take a lot of abuse.

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=dewalt%2020%20pc%20toughcase%20impact%20 ready#/watch?v=1hlgePwTaO8

The Robertson and Philips bit never jump out of the screw and the Robbie holds screws without dropping them.

By the way, why aren't all fasteners Robertson or Hex head? Philips and straight/chisel tip both SUCK.

On equipment that I service regularly, that Philips/Straight Chisel tip garbage gets replaced by one type of good quality standard fasteners be it Robertson or same size Hex head. Charged to the job, speeds up future service, no looking for diff bits when u don't need to.
    Less stress too!
    Last edited by koolkahuna; 11-24-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast