+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nut Drivers

Post Likes

Nut Drivers

I like to use the all in one screwdrivers like the Klein 11/1,or Irwin. My biggest problem is the 5/16 seems to round out within a year. So I'm curious hows the quality of the Klein 5/16 nut drivers? Will they last a long time or do they round out as well? Thanx for any insight.

I'm talking specifically about a stand alone 5/16 nut driver not a all in one tool.
    Last edited by newoldtech; 08-03-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added a line for clarity

Post Likes
    I use the cheap 6 in one drivers that Home Depot carries. When the 5/16 end wears out I just grind it down a little and it is good for a few more months.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    I like to use the all in one screwdrivers like the Klein 11/1,or Irwin. My biggest problem is the 5/16 seems to round out within a year. So I'm curious hows the quality of the Klein 5/16 nut drivers? Will they last a long time or do they round out as well? Thanx for any insight.

I'm talking specifically about a stand alone 5/16 nut driver not a all in one tool.
    I bought a Klein 5/16 nutdriver specifically for that reason...it is the size I use the most. 3 years and still looks likes new....well almost like new anyway!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    ...3 years and still looks likes new....well almost like new anyway!
    1 year and mine is holding up well. The magnet doesnt seem to be as strong as it was but I've had no rounding or distortion.

Post Likes
    I have antique Vaco Nut drivers I bought 25+ years ago, and I only replaced the 1/4" and 5/16" a couple of times in all them years, maybe you need to put the driver more square on the screw head, or you are using Chinese tools?

Post Likes
    The Klien drivers hold up quite a bit better then their screwdrivers. The long reach with the magnets are the way to go.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    The Klien drivers hold up quite a bit better then their screwdrivers. The long reach with the magnets are the way to go.
    Yea X2.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Thanks guys!

I just put the Klein 5/16 magnetic in my bag. I figure I will use it most(not all) of the time instead of the all in one and that should increase the life of my all in one substantially.

I don't know why they can't make a all on one that can stand up to the trade. If someone could they could make alot of money on it. I've tried them all, Klein, Irwin, Lenox etc. Irwin is the best I've seen but I still can't even get a year out of the 5/16.

Post Likes
    I'm thinking of going to klein as well. Have been getting about a year out of the Malco nutdrivers before they wear out. The boss replaces them so haven't been in a real hurry to change.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    X3

Post Likes
    I've got Klien and Greenlee, the only problem I have is loosing them.

Post Likes
    my nutdrivers last for years , because i use a cordless impact on most screws

Post Likes

Nutdrivers?

Just do like I do, my bosch mini has the 1/4 mag nutdriver and my milwaukee mini has the 5/16 and the rest of the nutsetters in a baby bank bag hanging on my tool bag.
    For long reach I use Xcelite mag nutdrivers, they are beefy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001 View Post
    I have antique Vaco Nut drivers I bought 25+ years ago, and I only replaced the 1/4" and 5/16" a couple of times in all them years, maybe you need to put the driver more square on the screw head, or you are using Chinese tools?
    Thought I was being cost effective by buying the Husky brand from HD. Enough said!

Post Likes
    The ONLY nut drivers to buy are the snap on ones. I carry mostly cheaper tools because I lose them more often then wearing them out. But my 1/4 5/16 and 3/8 are snap on. Two main reasons why are they are fully red yellow blue from top to bottom with insulated sleaves on the shafts and more importantly they go to a square shape at the bottom of the handle so you can put an adjustable on it when you have to, instead of using vice grips on the other brands and tearing them up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by follett View Post
    The ONLY nut drivers to buy are the snap on ones. I carry mostly cheaper tools because I lose them more often then wearing them out. But my 1/4 5/16 and 3/8 are snap on. Two main reasons why are they are fully red yellow blue from top to bottom with insulated sleaves on the shafts and more importantly they go to a square shape at the bottom of the handle so you can put an adjustable on it when you have to, instead of using vice grips on the other brands and tearing them up.
    Are they magnetic? Have a link or a part number?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes

Loose tools?

Quote Originally Posted by follett View Post
    How do you loose tools?

I am constantly finding tools that other techs have left on the job. Why do people do that?

I never leave my tools on the job when I am done.

I do like Klien's long handle nut drivers. Over a year and still like new.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    i have a excelite kit that the 5/16 hasnt worn out in 3 years. i do use a malco long 5/16 with magnet. usually tho i use a screw gun with 5/16 adapter. yeah i know i should just use one but i love tools!
    I need some free-zone in my compensate line.
    I am just a cog in the wheel.

Post Likes
    I have a Veto Pro Pac, every tool goes back into the same pocket and I inventory before I zip up, I don't lose tools. As far as magnetic nut drivers go, I prefer hollow shaft to put the nut driver over a long screws, such as on motors. If I need to hold a screw, a little black tape will tighten up the screw fit into the driver.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001 View Post
    I have a Veto Pro Pac, every tool goes back into the same pocket and I inventory before I zip up, I don't lose tools. As far as magnetic nut drivers go, I prefer hollow shaft to put the nut driver over a long screws, such as on motors. If I need to hold a screw, a little black tape will tighten up the screw fit into the driver.
    The Klein ones are magnetic and hollow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in