Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nut Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by 2001 View Post
    I have antique Vaco Nut drivers I bought 25+ years ago, and I only replaced the 1/4" and 5/16" a couple of times in all them years, maybe you need to put the driver more square on the screw head, or you are using Chinese tools?
    Thought I was being cost effective by buying the Husky brand from HD. Enough said!

The ONLY nut drivers to buy are the snap on ones. I carry mostly cheaper tools because I lose them more often then wearing them out. But my 1/4 5/16 and 3/8 are snap on. Two main reasons why are they are fully red yellow blue from top to bottom with insulated sleaves on the shafts and more importantly they go to a square shape at the bottom of the handle so you can put an adjustable on it when you have to, instead of using vice grips on the other brands and tearing them up.

Quote Originally Posted by follett View Post
    The ONLY nut drivers to buy are the snap on ones. I carry mostly cheaper tools because I lose them more often then wearing them out. But my 1/4 5/16 and 3/8 are snap on. Two main reasons why are they are fully red yellow blue from top to bottom with insulated sleaves on the shafts and more importantly they go to a square shape at the bottom of the handle so you can put an adjustable on it when you have to, instead of using vice grips on the other brands and tearing them up.
    Are they magnetic? Have a link or a part number?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Loose tools?

How do you loose tools?

I am constantly finding tools that other techs have left on the job. Why do people do that?

I never leave my tools on the job when I am done.

I do like Klien's long handle nut drivers. Over a year and still like new.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

i have a excelite kit that the 5/16 hasnt worn out in 3 years. i do use a malco long 5/16 with magnet. usually tho i use a screw gun with 5/16 adapter. yeah i know i should just use one but i love tools!
    I need some free-zone in my compensate line.
    I am just a cog in the wheel.

I have a Veto Pro Pac, every tool goes back into the same pocket and I inventory before I zip up, I don't lose tools. As far as magnetic nut drivers go, I prefer hollow shaft to put the nut driver over a long screws, such as on motors. If I need to hold a screw, a little black tape will tighten up the screw fit into the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001 View Post
    I have a Veto Pro Pac, every tool goes back into the same pocket and I inventory before I zip up, I don't lose tools. As far as magnetic nut drivers go, I prefer hollow shaft to put the nut driver over a long screws, such as on motors. If I need to hold a screw, a little black tape will tighten up the screw fit into the driver.
    The Klein ones are magnetic and hollow.

newoldtech,
    Have another look, no better yet just try to stick a screw into the mag version. Unless you have a Klein I haven't seen, you will find that the screw won't pass through the tiny hole in the magnet. At least that has been my experience. I would love to find a mag driver that was hollow like the non mag version where a long screw would actually go up the hollow portion of the driver. It would be great to have magnetic for installing the nuts on stud mounted motors and the like.

Kent that is very true I wish they had magnetic nut driver that had a bigger hole for through bolts. But I think the magnet needs to be that size to hold bolts and screws with all the metal shavings it collects over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Are they magnetic? Have a link or a part number?
    Here's a link to them you can probably find them cheaper on ebay or something http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....7&group_ID=746 they aren't magnetic which I dont mind, because half the time the magnetic ones fill up with shavings and your cleaning the ends out...
    btw I lose tools because I have a helper! Once more than one set of hands ends up in a tool bag things seem to go missing...

btw I lose tools because I have a helper! Once more than one set of hands ends up in a tool bag things seem to go missing...
    Yes I agree, the only tools I ever lost was when I had a helper. Now I make the helper use his own tools. Not mine.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Patterson View Post
    newoldtech,
    Have another look, no better yet just try to stick a screw into the mag version. Unless you have a Klein I haven't seen, you will find that the screw won't pass through the tiny hole in the magnet. At least that has been my experience. I would love to find a mag driver that was hollow like the non mag version where a long screw would actually go up the hollow portion of the driver. It would be great to have magnetic for installing the nuts on stud mounted motors and the like.
    I took a closer look and you are right. I'm not really sure what Klein made them hollow for if you cant pass a bolt through it?

Its not a big deal to me however as I was only interested in the 5/16 magnetic and I don't usually have a need for that one to be hollow.
    Last edited by newoldtech; 08-08-2010 at 10:29 PM.

For 18 months I have used the cheap,light,and small Ryobi cordless drivers (4V)and recently replaced the #18650 Lion battery @$7 each.They will easily loosen and tighten 200-300 A/H,condensor screws each depending on torque and length.@$30-$40 initial cost,it ain't bad.Even drilled a few holes with a new drill bit.If they are stolen or lost,no worries.
    Oh,I keep the magnetic kleins,and shorties in the bag too!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast