Thread: Anemometer?

Anemometer?

What is the least expensive but accurate cfm measuring device (anemometer) to measure the cfm's from supply registers?

Are you a homeowner or pro?

Homeowner... I am interested in measuring all of the air from the registers to determine how much air is actually being dispersed. Then I will be able to adjust dampers accordingly.

OPINION-
    Your method won't be very accurate, less accurate than instrument discrepancies/capabilities. Iffy numbers lead to iffy conclusions.

Velocity readings are okay for coarse, proportional adjustments and may reveal face velocity issues.

Gadgets like this will have accuracy tolerances/specs posted on line (+/- 2% for example).

There are other threads like this, actually, everything (logical) seems like it's been asked about at one point or another.

It would probably be smarter to hire a local HVAC pro to come out a balance your system with a hood. They'll have much better equipment than you can purchase which will be much more accurate. Why would you want to spend money on something you're only going to use once or twice? Let the people who know what they're doing come out, you'll be much better off.

Quote Originally Posted by tomwk View Post
    What is the least expensive but accurate cfm measuring device (anemometer) to measure the cfm's from supply registers?
    A piece of Kleenex works well. And it's cheap. I used a piece to show a engineer (who knew it all) that he was short on return. I found 3 (out of 7)returns not connected on a 5 ton system.

A ball shapped cat toy works great to illustrate the imbalance behind closed doors that have a small undercut. Get one with a bell in it and you can have audio as well as visual.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!