Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I hope the company at large does the right thing, I can only say the people I work for came out of the A/C side from this design era. And I find it hard to turn my back to them.

No we cant charge the customers. I would gladly take a tip though hah. The lady today got a new 75K Coleman, new Chimney with extension, stat, heck even had to pull out what was left of the R22 (1lb) needed 3, cut out those crap flare fitting and hard piped it. Fresh R22, correct charge, and they dont pay a dime.

From what I hear we are getting 5 Bills for doing the changout. 2 guys today, both techs so no hand holding, took us about 3.5 hours total.
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

Chad, you are doing a good job, albiet a tough one. I would not wish MH service on anyone let alone working for one of the engineers that designed that, well "stuff"

It is a small world after all! Really, they manufacture this equipment in Wichita, Ks.

Ok, I wonder if anyone has had this happen yet?

We put a heat exchanger in about a week ago, and now there is a noise coming from it every time the burner lights. It's on LP and has the correct orifice, and the gas pressure is correct.

It is sort of a rattling sound that caries thru to the flue, but it's coming from inside. I checked to see if anything was loose inside the exchanger, and it all seemed attached.

The customer is not too happy about this. We are going to try and contact Coleman about it to see what they say. Could mean another heat exchanger changeout.

As far as getting paid, I think we are still waiting. (I'm not the owner, just the grunt)

Another thing I'm wondering about is: I've condemned the ones with thru cracks or holes, and major cracks not yet thru, but almost every one of these I look at has anywhere from a few to many of the hairline cracks running vertical. How about the rest of you? Have you noticed the same thing? Are these safe, or just waiting to go? And no one has answered the question of warranty on these. The customers ask. It's not in the paperwork that I can see.

Well, I guess I'm slower than the rest of you, but you see I'm a little older. It takes me about an hour and fifteen minutes on average for the kit, and a thorough inspection, but I've done a couple in under an hour. If I have questions about whether it's a thru crack, I do a water test, so I like to take the time to see if it's leaking thru.

Well, it HAS kept me busy, and that's bread and butter, so I don't mind it a bit. I just think messing with the tar and stuff on the roof is a bit of a hassel, but I'm even beginnig to enjoy putting the new tar down, and hitting it with the torch, then smoothing it out, yeah. Ok, I'm sick!

Let me know about the noisy heat exchanger though.

A crack in any heat exchanger is due to thermal stress for any and all reasons that cause thermal stress, restricted airflow and overfiring are primary concerns.

A crack is a defect. It will not get better or go away with time. Tap it with a screw driver and remove all doubt!

That noise is MOST likely that pop can sized piece on the top of the exhaust, with a hole in the center, They obviously dont check to see that that rivit is secured tight. I had a new one doing this too. Also, that inner liner on the new exchanger isnt secured properly on some. I bend that upper piece up a little before using. Check that exc for rattles before. Also that bracket that holds the upgrade, Ive had many of those with broken rivits too, they get a new heat exc too.

Condemed 2 more yesterday with holes in the side. 7 upgrades, one exchanger. Long day, many more to go.

I will check those things out, the loose rivets on the baffle, and the little piece in the flue. They are probably cranking those heat exchangers out as fast as they can.

Thanks for the added info on the cracks. I hate to see them, but I'd have to condemn almost every one. So I'll tap 'em, shine light thru 'em, and spray a light mist on the outside of 'em, and if they pass, it's a kit, unless it's deep.

2 more with holes in the side today...

Chad, I think you are right about that piece that fits in the vent outlet. I went and looked at the old ones, (we are keeping them for Coleman) and on some of the newer one's I got the exact sound by tapping on them.

Indian, I agree a crack is a crack, and won't heal itself.

At our company, we were told that if a furnace was going to be replaced because of the cracked heat-x, they would discount the cost of the equipment $400. But I suppose a complete burn thru would be different... Are those mostly on LP or natural gas? Most of our customers are on Natural Gas, but we do have a few LP's.

Ive had 3 Natural and 3 LP that burned the walls out...

Now this is comming from a guy that has not done one not one of these repairs. We are Coleman dealers, and I have delt with Stylecrest for almost 5 years now, and yes like most of you guys have experenced the same customer service, or lack of it. I seem to get caught between the homemaker and Coleman when it comes to getting paid, both blame each other. We are just now getting the info here in California about these problems. I watched slim on the video, and feel we are ready to go I have about 50 people on my list. Please if you can give me any advise on doing ther work I would appreciate all input. I dought we will have problems like you guys back east with rust and stacks. I am having my guys and myself watch that video at least 3 times.

Now I have a idea for some of you. I noticed that when this work is done that we are handling many old parts and just putting them back. I prepaird a sales flyer alerting these people we are on the way, that have called me I included a oputunity for then to purchase 2 kits delux, and standard. If they do we will replace the older parts with new one at a reduced charge when we reassemble the furnace thus making this a very profitable call and giving the customer some comfort. I did this because I also noticed many of you complaning about the time allowed by coleman and the inability to make money The delux is 599.99 and includes hsi, flame sensor,booster motor, vac switch& tube, Gas valve, Gas Flex / shut off, and new lower limit switch. The Standard is hsi, flame sensor booster motor and vac switch $359.99. I did ger 2 people called and said they would be interested in the standard kits. I will be sure to let you know if it works.

No Offence intened Ron, but that seems nuts. Why would we change out a gas valve if it wasnt bad. Maybe thatll fly out there but I highly doubt that would get 1 taker here.

Lets talk about the more important things ok.

I can see some future problems with this upgrade kit. These 4 screws/nuts that hold the liner in COULD break and make that liner rattle like crazy.

Also, I have found that about 10% of these that just need a liner, have broken brackets on that round piece that holds the liner. They use rivits that apparantly cant take the heat, and break. Ive actually had to replace the heat exchanger on a few simply cause the brackets were so badly broken they couldnt hold the liner.
    I also think that the wires that run on the inside, (for the limit) close to the heat exchanger, are going to fail prematurely. They shoulda used that high temp insulation like the ignitors do.

Ive tried to call Colemans number a few times and all I ever get is, all operators are busy, leave a message. Well Coleman, CHECK YOUR MESSAGES.

I have saved IMO 6 Lawsuits in the last week, where death was a high possibility. But you wont return my calls. This really annoys me.

Also, I have had a few customers read the sticker saying that after the upgrade this furnaces input rating has dropped from 70,000 BTU's to 64,000 Btu,s. I had one lady refuse to sign because she said she bought this place with a 70,000 BTU furnace and wanted a 70,000 BTU furnace. This was after replacing the heat exchanger, so made my time there feel useless.

Also, are they making you guys keep the old exchangers and furnaces. We now have about 15 exchangers and 6 furnaces sitting outside the shop. We dont need that crap sitting out there.

Anyways, finger cramp gotta go.........

[Edited by Chad711 on 12-26-2004 at 09:48 PM]

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast