2nd Language?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Language?

2nd Language?

If you could learn to speak a 2nd language what would it be? Can anyone speak more than 1 language now?
    I can speak Spanish and English, I would like to learn more. Polish is intriguing for some reason, but it has no usefulness here in Atlanta.

In Atlanta you might need to speak "thug".
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Quote Originally Posted by adamste81 View Post
    If you could learn to speak a 2nd language what would it be? Can anyone speak more than 1 language now?
    I can speak Spanish and English, I would like to learn more. Polish is intriguing for some reason, but it has no usefulness here in Atlanta.
    In general I think French would be the next choice. With those 3 you should be able to converse anywhere in the world. For me, I would have to learn Cebuano (Visaya) as that's my wife's first language.

Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    With those 3 you should be able to converse anywhere in the world.
    Not sure about that, but those 3 do encompass a good amount of people
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    For me, I would have to learn Cebuano (Visaya) as that's my wife's first language.
    That is one of the languages spoken in the phillipines right?

I can muddle along in French and Spanish. Couldn't truly keep up with a fluent speaker anymore, but I'm sure it would come back to me fairly quickly.

Oriental languages fascinate me, but if I were to learn a different language, it would be German.

SPANISH! I have an English-to-Spanish dictionary in the truck, but it isn't helping. What's the easiest way to learn another language if you don't have time to take a class?

I would learn chineese. It would help out so much at work. Although, I find myself using urban dictionary more and more, I might have to re-learn english.

Spanish would help around here... Has anyone used that Rosetta Stone program? Any success?

Quote Originally Posted by adamste81 View Post
    Not sure about that, but those 3 do encompass a good amount of people

That is one of the languages spoken in the phillipines right?
    Yup. The Philippines has at least 12 major languages: Tagalog, Cebuano, Ilocano, Hiligaynon, Waray-Waray, Kapampangan, Bicol, Pangasinan, Kinaray-a, Maranao, Maguindanao and Tausug. Tagalog is the national language, but both Tagalog and English are official languages. English is the language in business there. Most of the major languages have several dialects. In all, there are about 170 dialects spoken.

Also, most people can also use Spanish for numbers, months, and days of the week, a holdover from the days of Spanish rule. There are a few places where Spanish is still spoken, and in the Muslim regions some speak Arabic.

Can you say, "tower of babel"?

The problem for most people in the brain's ability to learn a language tapers off at about age 11. And that makes sense as by 11 most would have learned a language. But knowing another persons tongue is empowering.
    One Famous film makers (?) learned by watching tv. I've also seen people from Europe speak with almost perfect "American" accents. This has to come from satellite US tv. There was a bluegrass group from Russia that spoke almost perfect Appalachian English and also won a Grammy for their misic.
    What I'm suggesting is when a person is older it might be easier to submerge yourself in such a way as to use it every day. That would be hard with some of the regional languages.
    All I have on tv are probably the same as most of you.
    Maybe if a family member would agree to speak only a language you are both learning when together as it might shorten the learning time.
    Tracers work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post
    Spanish would help around here... Has anyone used that Rosetta Stone program? Any success?
    Dont waste your time/money.
    Use spanishdict.com it is a very useful webpage with interactive lessons, a complete VERY in depth dictionary and tons of other useful things (plus the girl who started it and teaches is pretty cute).

I have heard that rosetta can be decent but you must dedicate hours at a time, if you have that luxury go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by midhvac View Post
    SPANISH! I have an English-to-Spanish dictionary in the truck, but it isn't helping. What's the easiest way to learn another language if you don't have time to take a class?
    listen to the spanish radio, use your dictionary, speak as often as you can in spanish, there are NUMEROUS webpages online to learn spanish and answer any questions you have.
    spanishdict.com is my favorite, they have so many tools it takes an hour just to navigate the site but it is very helpful and laid out nicely.

I have family in Germany and always wanted to learn their language. Bought set of CDs and listen to them on my way to work. The problem is, in my age , memory is not the same as it was years ago.
    Besides that I better remember written words then heard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast