1/4" Liquid Line

i am in a battle with my landlord about the goodman 2 ton that was installed with the old 1/4" liquid line, should the line be replaced or will a TXV remedy the issue(low head pressure, 65-70degree air output), i read that a good company would have never installed it that way.

Well first, you're a tenant so good luck telling the landlord anything. As for the line size, the installing company should have left the installation manual with the unit. Read it. What does it say? If they didn't they're hacks anyway so what's a little undersized line to them? I think all Goodman equipment is spec'd at 3/8 ACR (which is 1/4-inch I.D.) but that doesn't mean it won't work with 1/4 ACR. It just means the capacity is probably lessened. And no, a TXV can't cure an undersized liquid line.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Thanx, Yes the manual does specify 3/8, it works fine if you dont mind the house at 82 in south florida. The lanlord has sent the A/C man here twice, the first time he said it was the 1/4"line, next time he said he was waiting for a fax from goodman, fax for what to tell them its the wrong size line?

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    Well first, you're a tenant so good luck telling the landlord anything. As for the line size, the installing company should have left the installation manual with the unit. Read it. What does it say? If they didn't they're hacks anyway so what's a little undersized line to them? I think all Goodman equipment is spec'd at 3/8 ACR (which is 1/4-inch I.D.) but that doesn't mean it won't work with 1/4 ACR. It just means the capacity is probably lessened. And no, a TXV can't cure an undersized liquid line.
    When have you ever ran into a landlord who wanted to pay to do anything more than get the system "working"? Doesn't necessarily mean they're hacks.
    Just means they aren't going to do more work than they are being paid for.

Yes, a 1/4" liquid line is too small and will most likely cause some restriction, it will however work to some end.
    That said your landlord payed for it so it's his baby.
    I know it sucks for you as you're probably the one paying the utility bill, but it's his property so he can put in whatever cheap equipment he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by kittyjack View Post
    Thanx, Yes the manual does specify 3/8, it works fine if you dont mind the house at 82 in south florida. The lanlord has sent the A/C man here twice, the first time he said it was the 1/4"line, next time he said he was waiting for a fax from goodman, fax for what to tell them its the wrong size line?

Tee hee hee! LOL! That's a great question. Did you ask the tech that one? I don't suppose they did a load analysis either? Now that's a stupid question, isn't it? So they put in a 2-ton, maybe needed 2.5-tons but who knows? No load analysis. Then they cut the capacity of the unit by undersizing the refrigerant line (saves time, lowers the price, job sells easier) so now you've got a less than 2.0-ton system. Hmmm. Wonder why they won the job? Wonder why you're rooms are hot? Maybe when you buy your own place, you won't make those silly mistakes???
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Time for a tenant to contact the local authorities who monitor and regulate landlords... And expect a long term fight to get what is right...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by kittyjack View Post
    i am in a battle with my landlord about the goodman 2 ton that was installed with the old 1/4" liquid line, should the line be replaced or will a TXV remedy the issue(low head pressure, 65-70degree air output), i read that a good company would have never installed it that way.
    I just pulled out a condenser manual for Goodman and it says 1/4" line can be used for a 2 ton condenser with lines less than 25ft.

BTW there is not enough info to give you advice on.

Did they only replace the condensing unit or did they also replace the indoor coil?
    Second question, is the new equipment 410A?
    I only ask because we do a lot of apartments that were built in the 70's and 80's who used 5/8" x 1/4" linesets. The linesets are all in the wall and and people down here would rather have their system running improperly than have a lineset running down the outside wall.
    Needless to say we end up using the old linesets on all of them. High head pressure seems to be common on all the R22 systems, but the 410's seem to work alright al long as the piston or valve gets replaced.