Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

York yg with a cat g3516 drive

Any one have much experience with these? Havin loading issues with one. Engine appears to be maxed out and vanes wont open past 35%.

Don't know your level of experience with that particular Chiller but I would recommend bringing somebody in that really understands it I myself have never had the pleasure.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Quote Originally Posted by york56 View Post
    Don't know your level of experience with that particular Chiller but I would recommend bringing somebody in that really understands it......
    I concur 100%. You've gone way past an internet service forum when you get into this type thing - unless the forum is about natural gas engine driven compressors.

Wasnt expecting that reply. The guy that understands it more than me has already been there (my foreman). I don't have experience much with these, just have the two of em. I think I understand them fairly well. The problem is being a Johnson employee were spread so thin he doesn't have the time to be here as much as I would like. So here I am. The chiller portion checks out ok as far as I can tell. Makes cold water if u force the motor to do something. Flows and approach all check out. I just cant imagine something inside the chiller changing enough to put that much load on the motor and not blow up or show any signs(high pressure, heat). I'm supposed to be meeting up with a mech from cat so he can check out the motor. I'm thinking no maintenance has been done in ten years and the poor thing prob has valves leaking through and cylinder blowby. Thanks anyway for looking into it guys.

These set ups operate pretty much like a normal electric setup with a drive in them. They start up and go to max rpm and then slowly open the vanes. Then after a while will slowly open vanes more and bring rpm down to try and save. My problem is it maxes the motor out on rpm and boost(manifold) pressure before we even get to half vanes. Which makes me think it's a motor prob and not a chiller prob.

Have you spoken to your foreman about the problem and ask him what he thinks mabey he can direct you in some direction other course would be to contact the factory direct and explain it to them and see what there explaination would be mabey they could direct you in also some direction to come up with an answer.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

If your motor will go to max rpm, why would you think that you have a motor issue? Sounds more like a capacity control issue to me. jci has done the same thing to you that they've been doing everywhere else, and it's simply not fair to you. I had no idea that you are a jci employee, and believe me when I say that this is not aimed at you personally, but junkson didn't do right by many folks, myself included. They need to provide you with the help and support that you need so that you can get your issues resolved, or they need to find another line of work (even better, they can pay us to help fix it).

The reason I think its a motor issue is that its maxed out on boost(manifold pressure) when the vanes are only at 38%. this motor has to have max boost from the turbos to keep up with the same load the other motor can handle at about have to 2/3 the manifold pressure. And the Jci stuff, what ya gonna do. I came in after the great togetherness so I don't really know the good ol days. I like it alot better here than where I came from so I'm doin what I can to tcob.

let me run some things by you. The engine load is a function of rpm and manifold pressure. The york panel receives these as a millamps signal from loop isolating relays in the cat panel. I've had to calibrate these several times.They are located in the cat panel on the top of the right side. There is one for rpm one for manifold pressue and one for water jacket tempt. If you have already done this then disregard. And yes york tech support is no help.What does the chiller display for status and engine load?

I actually had a problem with the other relay in the other machine. So I swapped it out of this machine before we got a new one. This machine ran with the vanes wide open at 1500 rpm and started to bring the water down, but was showing 20# on the cat gauge. Pretty sure the only reason it did that was because with tje relay gone it saw 0# so it loaded up thinking it wasn't anywhere near max load. The manifold pressure gauge on the engine reads the same as the York panel. The one I haven't looked at would be rpm. Does the York panel get the rpm signal from the cat panel or does it read it's own like it does for pressure? That might explain some of it if they were reading at the same place. The cat panel does say the same rpm as the York.

Whoopee!!!!
    A sweet lil' YG.....I is da' one what started up ALL the YG's in the Ga. area and have been waaaay' outside the country on others....
    The unit that controls the "Engine-Load" is amount of boost pressure from the huge turbochargers.....15psi "Boost"(30psia) is equal to 100% engine load.
    This signal is generated by a danfoss transducer on the engine opposite side of the control panel.
    There also some hidden buttons on the keypad that has a wealth of information such as DAC,RM,RMS mach and other such thingies...
    I have started about a dozen of these puppies up and love them.....
    At the Pentagon we have a 3000hp. 3606cat on nat gas that we did some experimenting with...That is one huge bugger...
    I think my e-mail addy' is with my profile and I would be more than happy to help you out on this sweet thing....
    Didja' know that at lower condenser pressures this puppy has a COP of 1.65!!
    1000 btu's in and 1650 out!!! This is certified and not arguable...
    NO other chiller in the world even approaches that....
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Cool man glad ur here. I've fiund most of that stuff. I was playing with it the other day and did some tweeking on the power curve(after I found a KPa conversion chart). I set it to I think 35KPaA at 1500 rpm but the turd cat could only pull 40% vanes on that. I'm thinking there is a mech issue with the engine and its just not making the hp. I was talking to a heavy diesel tech the other day and he asked me about valvetrain adjustments and other maintenance on the engine. He was thinking with the very probable lack of maintenance that it was prob just gettin wore out.

Johnson deserves the mess they made out of York.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast