Thread: CO Testers

I am thinking about buying a CO tester as one of my service tools. I am concerned of their accuracy and that I will be trapped in a house forever chasing phantom CO readings. Ripping apart furnaces looking for cracks, pulling flues and checking chimneys all for a 3ppm reading that is not really there. Any input would help plus any good recommendations on a good CO detector would help.

I've used Flukes hand-held CO analyzer with the optional flue gas pump, worked like a charm, not too expensive either as I remember...

Co testers

Is the typical reading "0"ppm or is there a Can't go above number? besides the obvious danger and osha numbers?

Re: Co testers

Originally posted by whitepoundog
    Is the typical reading "0"ppm or is there a Can't go above number? besides the obvious danger and osha numbers?
    For the answers to your CO questions go to:

http://www.bacharach-training.com

lots of great information there. I use Bacharach co instruments myself.

co test

thanx for the input.

Talking

uei 90 co dectector it works great, paid $350 osha law in illinios is 35ppm per 8hrs

Anyone had experiences w/ the Bacharach Fyrite 125? Looks like a nice unit but pricey.

hvac64,
    The bacharach 125 is what I use. It is one awesome piece of equipment, worth every penny. The best tools to CO test with are some type of combustion analyzer & a dwyer 460 draft gauge. Lots of time the CO was there it can be only certain situations that cause it though. Helps to understand how the building interacts with an appliance venting.

Don't forget training

and be sure to get refresher courses. There are lots of good training out there and you can learn something different with each class because folks like Jim Davis, Tim McElwain, Rudy Leatherman, Bob Dwyer, Mark Hunt, Bill Spohn and Tom Greiner each bring their own personal experiences to the class room.